We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for tap water

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
289 reviews
Save Topic
Paying for tap water

I was wondering how long nice restaurants in NYC have been charging for tap water. I'm used to seeing "purified water" offered at convenience stores but when an upscale restaurant offers "still" , a bottle of spring water usually has come out. Two restaurants we went to instead brought out what they told us , only when asked, was filtered tap water. So I guess they put a filter on their tap and sell the water. I'm not saying one water is better than the next - it just took me by surprise.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for tap water

How much did you get charged for a glass of water?

I've only heard of getting charged for bottles of sparkling water that are delivered to the table. And usually, if you don't get the whole bottle, they come around and refill it for you, free of charge.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for tap water

Ask for tap water. It's good here. I've never heard of any place charging for it.

3. Re: Paying for tap water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:05
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,326 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for tap water

Water filters can become havens for microorganisms if they are not cleaned/replaced regularly. The problem with buildings over 6 floors is that they have to have a water tank on the roof to supply pressure to the upper floors. These are supposed to be cleaned and disinfected at least annually and inspected for openings. A friend of mine once turned on the faucet in a commercial building in Midtown and feathers came out. NYC water is quite good. I noticed the city sponsors a 6 person water fountain in Union Square promoting drinking what come out the tap instead of bottled water.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 23:40
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,976 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying for tap water

I think you're all sort of missing the point - being charged for tap water in a restaurant, filtered or not. New scam, or do you all think this is ok?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying for tap water

I have never heard of it and will refuse to eat at a restaurant that charges for tap water.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,553 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying for tap water

You'd have to change your screen name to "Ipayforwater" if you did.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying for tap water

No i will change my name to ... irefusetopayfortapwater. You know .....me and water.....it is kinda emotional :) !!!!

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying for tap water

“…I have never heard of it and will refuse to eat at a restaurant that charges for tap water….”

Well, here is one in our neighborhood, and there are probably more throughout the City:

http://tinyurl.com/n3hlprm

CH

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying for tap water

CH ... it says "Our pure water is provided to our customers for free, because we believe they should taste and experience pure water at no extra charge."

Although came across this interesting link

gothamist.com/2009/04/28/charitable_tap_wate…