We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC 7 day Itinerary in September

Walsall
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYC 7 day Itinerary in September

We will be travelling to NYC in September- staying in Times Square and would be very grateful for any feedback on our itinerary or anything we need to change. This is our first visit to NYC

Saturday -

Arriving at Laguardia at 7.30pm, catch a taxi to hotel. Hoping to be in hotel for 9pm.

Arriving late so will get a take away and call it a night.

Sunday-

11.00 - American History Tour on Wall Street

14.00 - Wall Street Tour

16.00 - Stroll down to China Town

17.00 - Stroll down to Little Italy

18.00 - Stroll down to SoHo

19.00 - Head towards Brooklyn Bridge / Manhattan Bridge

20.00 - Brooklyn Heights / Promenade

Monday

10.00 - Battery Park

11.00 - Catch Ferry to Staten Island

12.00 - Ellis Island

13.00 - Statue of Liberty

15.00 - World Trade Center

16.00 - 9-11 Memorial

18.00 - Shopping at Century 21st

19.00 - Woolworth Building

Tuesday

10.00 - Madame Tussaud's

11.00 - Ripley s believe it or Not

12.00 - Bryant Park / New York Library

13.00 - Grand Central

14.00 - Chrysler Building

16.00 - Rockefeller / St Patrick's Cathedral

18.00 - Top of the Rock

19.00 - NBC studios

Wednesday

10.00 - Flatiron Building

12.00 - Chelsea Market Baskets

13.00 - High Line

15.00 - Greenwich Village Tour / Washington Sq Park

17.00 - Madison Square Gardens

19.00 - Empire State Building

21.00 - Night out in Time Square

Thursday

10.00 - Lincoln Center of Performing Arts

12.00 - Museum of Natural History

15.00 - Central Park

18.00 - Tour of Yankees Stadium

21.00 - Walk Across George Washington Bridge

Friday

10.00 - The Metropolitan Museum of Art

13.00 - 5th Avenue Shopping / Trump Tower

20.00 - Hells Kitchen

Saturday -

Return Flight to UK

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC 7 day Itinerary in September

It's a good start.

For Sunday, Little Italy is now quite small. It's amusing to walk through, but won't take long. That's a good thing because you will want more time in Soho.

You may find that you feel rushed to get to the Brooklyn Bridge, or are worn out. If that's really a priority, I'd do it earlier in the afternoon, then finish with Chinatown - Soho.

Monday seems a bit confused. The Staten Island Ferry goes near the SOL for views, but it does not go TO the SOL or Ellis Island. If you want to go to these monuments, you need to take a special boat. Book a time slot at statuecruises.com You can book pedestal access for the SOL but Crown Access is probably sold out. Early is better as lines can get longer as the day progresses. If you do this, skip the Staten Island Ferry.

So, start with SOL/Ellis island. Allow a good 3 hours, maybe longer. Then do 911 memorial.

If you run out of steam the prior day, you could do Soho this evening.

Tuesday:

Madam Tussauds and Ripleys are in Times Square. That's more fun at night (for the llights) and these places stay open late. I'd move them all to nighttime. (Note that NBC Studio Tours are closed down this year. http://www.nbcstudiotour.com/)

Wednesday:

You'll be doing Times Square Tuesday. Or just do it Wednesday, but I think you've missed that Tussaud's and Ripley's are in TS.

Plan to spend more time in Greenwich Village. It's a very large area and wonderful to explore. In contrast, Madison Square Garden is just an unremarkable building. Move ESB to late night, after exploring the village.

Thursday:

Starting Central Park at 3pm and being at Yankee Stadium at 6pm is rushed if you really want to explore Central Park.

This is the first time I've seen someone post plans to walk the George Washington Bridge. Though it does have pedestrian access, I'm not sure that I'd prioritize this, especially at night. Anyone have experience with this?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC 7 day Itinerary in September

-If you get checked in by 9:30, why not come right back out and take a walk around/through Times Square?

-You seem to be getting a rather late start in the morning each day. I would look to be out of the hotel by 8am. NYC gets going much earlier.

-Sunday...I would not want to do a tour of the Wall Street area on a weekend. You get the feel of it much more during the week.

-You are also going(on Sunday) from lower Manhattan, back up to SOHO, then back down to Lower Manhattan?

-As stated, the SI Ferry doesn't go to the SOL or Ellis Island.

-Monday...The World Trade Center's previous location was on the 9/11 Memorial plaza. So there really isn't a separate WTC.

-Agree with doing Ripley's and Madame T at night.

-Yep..you can walk across the GWB. Many people choose the Brooklyn Bridge for the better views.

Walsall
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC 7 day Itinerary in September

Many thanks for you advise, would you take the HOPO pass and the new york pass?

Walsall
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC 7 day Itinerary in September

Many thanks for you advise, would you take the HOPO pass and the new york pass?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,089 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC 7 day Itinerary in September

First, here is an analysis of the various attraction passes:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c140362/New-Yo…

Second Ripley's, Madame Tussaud's, Times Square & Rockefeller Center are all in proximity to one another. Easy to do in one day.

Third, I like the HOHO buses as an overview of the city but some find them a waste of time. However, don't use them as basic transportation. The fares are much too expensive for that. For basic transportation use subway, buses or an occassional taxi.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC 7 day Itinerary in September

**would you take the HOPO pass and the new york pass?**

Nope.

7. Re: NYC 7 day Itinerary in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 05:16