We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nj transit train

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
nj transit train

Hi there,

So its almost time for our long awaited trip to NYC. We my son and I, fly into Newark on Tuesday and was after lots of wonderful advice on tr I was planning on taking the NJ transit train into NJ Penn then get the train from NJ Penn to Manhattan Penn.

I have just read an another post though theirs work on the trains so not in operation.

Can anyone advise me on this please?

Really appreciated,

Thanks, Maria x

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nj transit train

The internal train within Newark Airport was shut down for several months this year for repair. That system is now back in service. The NJ Transit train you will catch at the airport station goes into New York City, Penn Station. There is no need to change trains at Newark Penn Station. Buy a ticket for New York CIty and enjoy the 27 min. trip. Just be certain you do not get on an Amtrak train that might also stop at the airport station. The fares are very much higher for the short trip.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nj transit train

Thanks that's great.

I did just look on the transit website though and it does state some emergency repairs are happening until the 8th of September. It list trains but in all fairness I have no idea if that means the train I need.

I don't mean this funny as I'm sure you know way better than me but can I definitely get a train from Newark airport to Manhattan Penn? Just on previous posts I've been told by Nemours people to get the air train to NJ Penn then cross over at the platform to get train to Manhattan Penn.

I just want to double check before I board a train and ideally before I fly Tuesday so I can figure out what I need to do.

Thanks so much x

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,457 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nj transit train

That is on the Montclair Boonton line. That line does not serve the airport.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nj transit train

Aw that's great thanks loads.

Can I double check though how the trains work and if I will have to change trains etc?

I have been googling info but I'm now all confused, sorry for being so dizzy but would really appreciate someone explaining what I have to do once at airport.

Sorry to be a pain.

Thanks so much,

Maria x

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nj transit train

It is very easy. Just take the Air Train to the Newark Airport Station. There you get a NJ Transit Train, either the Northeast Corridor or North East Coast Line. Take it to the last stop which is NY Penn Station. Check out www.njtransit.com.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nj transit train

Aw thanks loads that's really great and super helpful :) x

Trenton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: nj transit train

I'm beginning to realize that those of us who take the trains mentioned on a regular basis are often not very clear when it comes to describing how they work to someone who has never ridden them before. So here's a further clarification.

The Air Train is the light rail that connects all the terminals and parking garages at Newark Airport and also runs to the Newark Airport train station stop (which is called the RailLink station on the Air Train route map). IMHO the signage in the airport is pretty bad so once you get out to the main area past security, or once you claim your bags, look for signs for the Air Train. If you can't find them ask one of the employees in the maroon coats if you see one, or any other airport personnel. It doesn't cost anything to ride the Air Train to the RailLink station but you'll need to buy a ticket once there for the NJ Transit train to Penn Station. When you exit the Air Train go up the escalator and turn left through the glass doors. The ticket machines will be on your right. They are not especially intuitive but there are personnel stationed there to help. You'll need to feed that ticket, arrow side up, through the turnstile to access the platform for the train. When the ticket pops up, take it and the turnstile will open. Proceed through the next set of glass doors and immediately turn right and go down the escalator to the platform and wait for the train. Listen for the announcements and watch the monitors - they tell you which train line, what track, and the final destination for each train; you can take any NJ Transit train whose final destination is New York (that's the end of the line). As a previous poster said, don't get on an Amtrak train (their colors are blue and red, and the so-called high speed Acela trains are clearly marked). If you follow the progress of the trains on the monitors as they arrive and depart you will quickly be able to tell which is which.

Once you get to Penn Station, do you know where you're going? There's a taxi queue outside the 7th Avenue entrance if you need it. Again, signage isn't the best, so if you get confused (I still do, and I've been going in and out of this station for years), ask one of the police you'll see patrolling. Enjoy your time here.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nj transit train

this link may help also

panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochur…

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nj transit train

Look, everyone is making this too complicated. Believe me, I've done it and it is easy!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nj transit train

Orizaba: Thanks so much that's really helpful. I've written it all down :)

Its daunting when you are unfamiliar with the place etc plus a have my son with me so a little more anxious than if I was traveling alone.

I'm sure we will be fine and that it is straight forward but honestly I get lost in the train station I've used all my life back home. I know dizzy right lol

Ilivein new jersey: Thanks so much for the link, its appreciated.

Ye once in out of Penn station and figure my bearings, I'm heading towards w35th btwn 5/6th for my hotel 😊

Thanks again so much xx