We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sol/Ellis island

england
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sol/Ellis island

Hi we were going to just use the Staten Island ferry to see sol. But now we are considering using statue cruises to see sol and visit Ellis island. How long should we allow for this? Thanks

Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sol/Ellis island

While you can spend more time, I would plan for at least three hours from the time you first get to the Battery in order to begin the excursion to the time you get back and step off the boat.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 22:32
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sol/Ellis island

3 hours +.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,407 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sol/Ellis island

If you want to climb the crown as well as visit Ellis Island I'd allow at least 5 hours. Without a crown climb at least 4 hours.

The crown climb entails extra security then you have to do the actual climb, you'll need to rest along the way up.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 22:52
Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sol/Ellis island

I had the impression that they were not getting off the boat at LIberty Island, which strikes me as a mistake; at very least I would get off the boat and walk around the Statue. My estimate was based on that. Naturally, if they are going to go into the base of the Statue, they would need to add more time.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sol/Ellis island

We would probably start early in the morning with a trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Then proceed to the 911 Memorial and Museum. Afterward, a walk on Wall Street and then stroll half-way across the Brooklyn Bridge for a grand view of the City and then……..Chinatown & shopping? It would be an eventful day. Enjoy.

CH

Edited: 22 August 2014, 00:21
england
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sol/Ellis island

Thanks for all your replays.

Cassahoffa - we are planning to get off at Liberty island and just look round before going onto Ellis island. We are staying at the hotel metro which is near esb - how long would it take to get to battery park early in the morning. What time tickets would you suggest for the statue cruise and then the 9/11 museum. It would make sense to do this both on the same day I suppose. How long should we allow for 9/11.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sol/Ellis island

**We are staying at the hotel metro which is near esb - how long would it take to get to battery park early in the morning. **

20 minutes tops.

**What time tickets would you suggest for the statue cruise and then the 9/11 museum. **

-First thing in the AM for the SOL.

-4+ hours after for the 9/11 Museum. I spent 3+ hours in the Museum and could have stayed much longer.

england
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sol/Ellis island

Thanks for your help. I have now booked sol for 10am and 9/11 for 3pm so hopefully we can grab a bite for lunch as well!

9. Re: Sol/Ellis island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 05:17