We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Manhattan or Secaucus

1 post
Save Topic
Stay in Manhattan or Secaucus

Hi,

I have a some mariott points and i can either affort 2 nights in manhattan ( 0.7 miles from times-square ) or 2-3 nights in Secausus and save a lot on points , similar styled hotel.

We are 4 adults and 1 infant. I am going to drive from Atlanta to NYC.

I need opinion on following ( it is my first time to NYC or anywhere near to it ).

1. Shall i just stay one night in Manhattan just for experiencing and easy access of time square at night ?

2. Stay all the time in Manhattan - i do owe 55 USD parking fee per day to hotel in case i stay in manhattan

3. Stay in Secaucus , if i stay in secausus how easy is it to get into city for sightseeing ? we have a infant ( 9 months old ) so will have to cary stroller and other stuff.

Would i make sense to drive from secausus into manhanttan and park somwhere roadside in nearby area ? or take a ferry/train transport ?

What will offer me good convenience, still enjoy the city and not be expensive as well,

USA
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Manhattan or Secaucus

Stay in Manhattan. Secaucus is not convenient at all, especially with the baby.

Post your dates and budget, the hotel experts might be able to help with other options.

Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Manhattan or Secaucus

Your public transportation option from Secaucus is a bus, which will not be handy with a stroller.

Can you use your points at the Fairfield Inn Queensboro Bridge (and NOT the Fairfield Inn Manahttan View) in Long Island City in Queens? That at least will put you in the city, and close to a subway station, with midtown Manhattan just minutes away.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,080 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Manhattan or Secaucus

I'm confused, you say you have $$$ and points for 2 nights in Manhattan, but then talk about one night?

I'd stay in Manhattan, much easier for all, especially with a baby.

Look for cheaper parking with bestparking.com

Hopefully someone will be able to give you some ideas for not driving all the way into Manhattan so you can save even more on parking.

Good luck.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Manhattan or Secaucus

If cost were not an issue I would say Manhattan without a doubt. But I think you might even need 2 rooms, right, what with 4 people + infant, so I know cost is a big issue? I won't comment on what you should do but I can tell you what it will be like staying in Secaucus

First, let me answer your questions about driving in which I do feel is a very realistic option with one possibly big exception that I will get to at the end.

It's going to cost you $13 in tolls, payable one way only, to drive into Manhattan, plus about $40 to park for the day. If you leave Secaucus past 9:15 or 9:30 you will fly through the Lincoln tunnel with only short, minor delays at the tolls. Coming back can be another story. If you leave Manhattan by 4:30 (maybe 5:00) or after 8:00 PM (maybe even 7:30) you'll do OK, between those hours it can be a problem getting through the tunnel. How big a problem? Well, it feels pretty bad to those of us who do it via bus 5 days a week and you are probably looking at 30-45 min to get those few miles to Secacus from the moment you get in your car. Weekends will be easier, of course, probably much easier

Parking for an entire day can be had for about $40 -- see http://nyc.bestparking.com/ to check rates -- you want park on 8th or 9th or 10th avenue between, say 38th st and 60th. Parking west of 8th gets you into reallly terrible traffic.

What's the exception I was talking about? If you need to get that infant back to your hotel for a nap it means everyone has to go. So I would bring a good stroller that he/she can nap in and hope for the best, but it might be hard to find a spot where you can sit and rock the stroller back and forth (I well remember doing that with my kids). You don't say what time of year you're going so weather might be an issue.

There is the bus option from Secaucus -- it will cost you $8.50 round trip per person. Secaucus has great bus service going to Manhattan and if you do this you should buy a round trip in NJ because drivers only accept cash in NJ, you need a ticket in NYC. Coming back from Manhattan the lines at the Port Authority Bus Terminal can be pretty long, very crowded and pretty uncomfortable. On the bus line I take, which is not the one you would take, i do see people doing this, by the way. If you think that some of your party wants to see show while mom or dad goes back with the baby then you need a bus in or plans (or two cars!)

In case you haven't seen it, here's a map of the Secaucus complex you are talking about with all the hotels listed http://www.harmonmeadow.com/map/HMmap.pdf

Why don't you do as the previous poster suggests, though, and post your dates and budget to see if someone can come up with a hotel that is on the PATH system which is a subway that runs between NYC and NJ. Rates are lower than NYC but not as low as Secaucus. Then make your choice.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
459 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Manhattan or Secaucus

"If you leave Secaucus past 9:15 or 9:30 you will fly through the Lincoln tunnel with only short, minor delays at the tolls. Coming back can be another story. If you leave Manhattan by 4:30 (maybe 5:00) or after 8:00 PM (maybe even 7:30) you'll do OK, between those hours it can be a problem getting through the tunnel. How big a problem? Well, it feels pretty bad to those of us who do it via bus 5 days a week and you are probably looking at 30-45 min to get those few miles to Secacus from the moment you get in your car. Weekends will be easier, of course, probably much easier"

While traffic through the Lincoln Tunnel is often better after 9:30 am it is not always the case and should not

be assumed to be the case on a daily basis. Early issues with the Express Bus Lanes or accidents or disabled vehicles either on Rte 495 or in the Tunnel can often back up the approach for quite some time and delays can and have lasted until 10:30 or 11:00 or later. Weekends are usually better as long as there are no special events or incidents going on.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Manhattan or Secaucus

Mahattan. Secaucus is a hike.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 18:25
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Manhattan or Secaucus

Manhattan.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,543 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Manhattan or Secaucus

1) You do NOT need to stay near Times Square to enjoy NYC. A baby in Times Square is sheer madness. If there are Marriott hotels IN Manhattan that cost less, tell us what they are. I think driving from Atlanta for ONE night is crazy with a baby, btw.

2) Many many hotels will NOT allow 5 people in a room for fire safety/insurance reasons. Don't assume you can all share without checking first. If the baby is young enough, it MIGHT be ok. But you need to find out before you make the trip, not when you're checking in.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,543 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Manhattan or Secaucus

PS the Courtyard Jersey City is a better option than Secaucus as there's a PATH train linking to NYC.

10. Re: Stay in Manhattan or Secaucus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:16