We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Ballet vs. American Ballet Theatre The Nutcracker

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
NYC Ballet vs. American Ballet Theatre The Nutcracker

I will be in NYC in December. I could see the American Ballet Theatre's performance of The Nutcracker at BAM Howard Gilman Opera House OR New York City Ballet's performance of The Nutcracker at the David H. Koch theater. If you could only see one, which one would you prefer? Would you give reasons why you would chose one over the other?

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,893 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Ballet vs. American Ballet Theatre The Nutcracker

This might help

dancetabs.com/2013/…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
881 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Ballet vs. American Ballet Theatre The Nutcracker

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing ABT but I have seen the NYC Ballet, and they are fantastic. A really great company. So I will say that if you see them at Lincoln Center, I think you will be very happy.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Ballet vs. American Ballet Theatre The Nutcracker

NYCB is a more traditional production (I'm a big fan).

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Ballet vs. American Ballet Theatre The Nutcracker

NYCB's Nutcracker is the one choreographed by Mr B & is iconic.

ABT's Nutcracker is choreographed by Ratmansky (nice name for a Nutcracker choreographer) who is currently the darling of balletomanes in NYC.

So, it depends on whether you want tried & true or new & exciting.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC Ballet vs. American Ballet Theatre The Nutcracker

I cannot answer your question but I can say that if you go to Lincoln Center and get the cheap seats they are REALLY REALLY far away. That was my one (and only) ballet experience at Lincoln Center. Others can give you more details

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC Ballet vs. American Ballet Theatre The Nutcracker

I've seen the NYCB nutcracker from all over -- 1st ring through 4th -- and while its a different experience way up high, the sightlines are still good and you can appreciate the choreography quite well. its not an up close look at individual dancer's technique,unless you use opera glasses. there are no cheap nutcracker seats.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
637 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC Ballet vs. American Ballet Theatre The Nutcracker

NYCB offers some reasonably priced tickets for Nutcracker performances but those tend to sell out very quickly. This year, Nutcracker tickets will go on sale on Monday, September 21. Prices start at $35 but the next price level up (I'm guessing they will be about $65 this year) offer a much better view. If you go online as soon as the tickets go on sale, you should be able to get seats in the second ring for around that price and they're a good deal. The schedule is already posted on their website so you can see the performance times that will be available on Sept 21.

nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PD…

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
637 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC Ballet vs. American Ballet Theatre The Nutcracker

Also, weekend performances are very popular so you'll have better luck getting the less expensive tickets if you go for a Mon-Thurs show.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
637 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC Ballet vs. American Ballet Theatre The Nutcracker

A correction to my post #7 above. September 21 is a Sunday, not Monday.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC Ballet vs. American Ballet Theatre The Nutcracker

If you've not seen The Nutcracker performed before, professionally, seeing it performed by NYCB will be a treat.