We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itineray question

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Itineray question

I am in need of advice. I am in the process of formulating our trip itineray for our family vacation (including 4 children of ages 6, 8, 10 and 17yrs) to NYC currently scheduled from October 10 - October 14th. The wonderful forum participants had previously advised me to secure accomodations at the The Beacon Hotel and I did follow this recommendation.

We have Statue of Liberty tickets for the 9am departure from the New York side with Pedestal access on Saturday October 12, 2014. Is there enough time to comfortably complete our tour at the SOL, return to our hotel, change clothing, and then get to a 2pm Broadway show? I am considering Alladin.

Thank you in advance.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 05:58
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itineray question

I'm sure you will get a range of responses but I would not recommend it. Give yourself plenty of time time to enjoy this fantastic experience. Given the ages of your kids it will be really stressful for you all trying to meet such tight deadlines knowing every little stop & delay is costing valuable time to get back up to the UWS to change and get to the New Amsterdam Theater for 1.45ish. And what about Ellis Island after your climb? Is it possible to head back to the hotel for a much earned rest and do the evening show? Good luck with it all.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itineray question

Thank you very much for your suggestions. My concern was the timing of the evening show for my two youngest children. They are a bit earlier to bed and I was concerned about an 8pm start time and 2 hour 30hr run time. Saturday is the only day that we could reasonably go to the show since my eldest daughter will need to fly back to our home state on Sunday. I may need to come up with an alternative to a Broadway show for the afternoon.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itineray question

Pardon my typo in the title *Itinerary*

London, Engalnd
Level Contributor
7 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itineray question

You can go to a show any day, but you are so close the Ellis Island, that it would be a crying shame to not visit one of the most important sites of US history. Your kids will see and appreciate how the 'huddled masses' arrived by boat from the 'old country' to settle in the golden medina.

If you are still raring to go after the SoL and Ellis Island, then your next port of call should be the Tenement Museum. Your day of history will leave you tired, but informed. Your kids will have so much to tell, when they return to your home town and their school.

Hope this helps.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,983 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itineray question

Your oldest is 17, and flying home alone. You won't be going to the airport with her, will you? I'm sure she'd understand if you all went to see Aladdin on Sunday afternoon without her when she's gone, won't she?

Maybe as a trade-off, on another night one parent can go with her alone to see a more "adult" play of her choosing, while the other stays with the little ones in the hotel?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itineray question

That's a great suggestion Warmwinds. What is you itinerary for your stay Imhotep06 (beautiful dog by the way)? Are you doing other stuff in Lower Manhattan like the 9/11 Museum and Memorial? Walking the Brooklyn Bridge? These along with Laurence's suggestion of the Tenement Museum work well in the afternoon after SOL.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itineray question

My eldest will be flying back to her university on Sunday in preparation for her Monday classes. I will accompany her from the hotel to the aiport for her early morning departure flight from JFK. We are using Dial 7 car service for the transfer to JFK. (We are using Strusser's for our transfer from JFK to The Beacon). I think that I may attempt to secure tickets for 8pm show on Friday instead. We arrive early on Friday (930am) and only have plans for a private tour to be scheduled for a few hours (I planned on using On board Tours, Phototrek, or Real NY Tours?) mainly to get the lay of the land. I actually am going to attempt to formulate a full itinerary within the next week once I can narrow down sites and locations of attractions. We of course plan on hitting the "must see" sites and my son is anxious to see Coney Island and the Bronx Zoo also. I am using an app called Tripomatic to assist with the itinerary. Any help is appreciated. I am in the process of reviewing the FAQs references with "NYC with kids"

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itineray question

Check out the New Victory schedule for a list of kid friendly live theater shows:

http://newvictory.org/

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itineray question

Is anyone familiar with the show "The old man and the moon"?

10. Re: Itineray question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 02:41