We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark Airport option?

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Newark Airport option?

I have been searching for an affordable flight from my area to NYC. We would be flying from TRI airport. There is always a layover which makes our prices higher. We would have to drive 3 1/2 hours to Charlotte to save less than $100 to get a flight at 6am. We would rather fly from TRI. I have been reading that LGA is the closest and cheapest airport to land at and get to our hotel in Times Square (Yotel). Our dates are 10/16-10/19. Cant fluctuate on those dates at all. We need a early time leaving on the 16th and a late time coming back home. Problem I'm seeing is that LGA is more expensive and the earlier you want to leave is more expensive and the later you come back is more expensive. Just my luck! Today, on kayak,( Kayak is saying buy now-going up further this week) cheapest is:

US Airways TRI 11:15a→JFK3:16p 4h 01m 1 stop (CLT)

JFK 6:25a→TRI10:47a 4h 22m1 stop (CLT) $328 per person round trip. It goes up to $676 and that's the amount for the times we need. Either way, this is WAY too much money!

My questions are, if I find an affordable flight coming into EWR,(is this area safe?) how much will it cost the 4 of us to get to Yotel in Times Square (without dragging our luggage on/off several different buses/trains) I'm leery of finding my way to and from these bus/train terminals safely and not wasting our whole day doing this. This is all a bit overwhelming. First time going to NYC. Please is anyone has any good advice, please share. Especially if you've actually had to travel from EWR to Times Square. I've also been told NOT to fly in around 3pm because it's rush hour? Is this true?

NYC
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark Airport option?

EWR (Newark) is fine, you could get a cab, a bus or take the airtrain (Monorail) from the airport to the NJ Transit train that will get you to Penn Station (not far from Times Square).

In the questions about NYC on the right, the first post is how to get from the airports (including EWR). Read that.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark Airport option?

Looks like taxi from Newark to Times Square area is $60 plus tips and tolls and $5.50 if you use a credit card. (59th is actually further north than your destination) panynj.gov/airports/ewr-taxi-car-van-service…

DO NOT accept rides from anyone approaching you inside the terminal - go outside to the official taxi stand. If using a credit card, you have to swipe your card at the stand for a voucher (that's the $5.50 service fee), and you use the voucher to pay the taxi driver. Cumbersome but that's how they do it.

Sounds like you don't want the train but it is the cheapest way, and no it won't take all day. www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

This takes you to Penn Station, you could then cab it to your hotel. It is also walkable, assuming you have roller bags and your kids (I'm assuming there are kids involved ?) can tolerate the walk. Google maps shows the distance:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Penn+Station/YOTEL+New+York,+570+10th+Ave,+New+York,+NY+10036/@40.7550164,-73.9978555,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c259ae1434b7f9:0x3e64008c2728c60b!2m2!1d-73.99358!2d40.75058!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c2584d83538fa5:0x9aaeb9042dabf0a!2m2!1d-73.995625!2d40.75912

If this is your first trip to NY, be very mindful of the walk/don't walk signs.

Newark is safe but like any busy areas use common sense - don't leave an expensive camera unattended or your purse hanging open on the back of a chair.

If I have the right Yotel in my search results, note it is a few blocks west of Times Square.

Have a great trip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark Airport option?

A car service is another option such as

dial7

all state

carmel

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,979 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark Airport option?

I think $328 r/t is a very fair price. Have you historically seen prices from TRI to New York much lower than that?

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark Airport option?

no. That is the lowest I've seen it for these dates. Its cheaper at other times of the year.

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark Airport option?

only $60 from Newark? I read that it's at least $70 from JFK to Manhattan.

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark Airport option?

Thanks for the tips and yes I see that link. I will read that.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newark Airport option?

** I read that it's at least $70 from JFK to Manhattan.**

From JFK, a taxi is just over $52(flat rate.) Then with tip, you are looking at $65-$70.

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Newark Airport option?

ok. In the question on the far right about getting from airports to manhattan that I was directed to says: The #60 city bus from 106th and Broadway for $2.50 goes to LGA via Broadway, 125th St. and the Triborough Bridge directly to LGA and stops at all terminals. There are also private buslines going from LGA to midtown for about $15.00. REALLY?? Straight through for that cheap? Why havent I read this anywhere else? Ive been told you have to get on one bus then change to a train and then etc etc. Is this a quick route or is there a lot of stopping? Where do I find the official bus info for this? What site?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newark Airport option?

FYI, tolls will add around $15-16 to a taxi from EWR so don't be shocked when you get the tab

ditto for a car service