We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Trip - Query about hotel price fluctuation

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Topic
NYC Trip - Query about hotel price fluctuation

Hello!! I've been reading this forum for a while now and can't wait to start planning our visit in March/April 2015. (I love the 'Top Question' section on the right hand site of the forum.)

We (my husband and myself) are planning to stay for 8 nights and will be celebrating my 50th while we are there. We are so excited already.

At the moment the price of flights from Manchester UK via London to EWR really good. £450 per person. But we are not really ready to commit to a hotel yet. However if we would be pushed we could make that decision.

My question is..... Do hotels get cheaper closer to the date of a stay. Is there an optimal time to book?

It seems like buying a package via ie Expedia is a little cheaper than buying flights and hotel separately. But if hotel prices are likely to go down that difference would be wiped out.

Please do tell me if it's a strange question. :)

Thank you for any replies.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,904 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Trip - Query about hotel price fluctuation

If you have purchased your airfare I STRONGLY suggest you make a refundable hotel reservation. If it goes down, you can get the lower price. If it goes up, then you are locked into the lower price. There is no downside to doing this, whereas there is a risk of prices going up before you choose to book (and no one can predict what will happen).

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Trip - Query about hotel price fluctuation

For March, unless it's around St. Patrick's day, there are usually some good hotel deals. It will be too early to see them all.

Early April can also have some fairly good pricing. Later in the month may be more expensive.

I would not book something non-refundable. It depends on your personality though. If you would be forever beating yourself up if it turns out that you can't do quite as well as the tempting deal you're seeing on expedia, vs just getting over it, then maybe that's what you want to do :-) But, you could end up beating yourself up over missing a great deal on a better hotel that you could have nabbed if you waited.

I'd stay flexible.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,057 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Trip - Query about hotel price fluctuation

It's not a strange question at all. It looks like you're ready to book your flights because of the good price. If that's the case, I'd definitely reserve a hotel with attractive prices once your flights are locked in, but I'd only reserve if it can be cancelled without penalty. I've done that for a possible trip in late March for next year because the price was so much lower than normal for this hotel. That said, I'll still keep watch in case a better deal pops up.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Trip - Query about hotel price fluctuation

Than you very much for your suggestions.

We will book our flights this weekend. And will definitely reserve some hotels without being tied in completely. Great idea!! Our tripdates are March 26 to April 3 2015. We are leaving again just before Easter. So hopefully there are some deals to be had.

I don't need the absolute best price. But just want to be happy with what price we pay for the hotel we want.

Again, thank you for your replies. I am sure I will have some more questions in the future.

For now I will just enjoy reading the forum and pick up ideas.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,971 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC Trip - Query about hotel price fluctuation

I'm not an expert on airfare pricing but going through London, £450 doesn't sound like a bargain to me and booking this far in advance doesn't sound wise. While I'm not usually a fan of air/hotel pkgs., I would look at whether you can get a package with nonstop flights at a decent price. Short of that, if you're going to have to stop or change planes, I'd do it in Ireland where you will go through US immigration and customs and avoid that in NYC. Dont be in a rush to book anything that's not cancelable. It's 9 months away.;)

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
996 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC Trip - Query about hotel price fluctuation

£450 i think is cheap for your flights however If you look around a little more you can get them for cheaper - a simple skyscanner search has found flights nearer to the £400 mark per person. Albeit a £50pp saving doesnt sound alot but it will leave you the possibility of splurging on a hotel if you wished ☺️

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC Trip - Query about hotel price fluctuation

Thanks nywiz and devindazzle.

Direct flights from Manchester are so expensive. AA was quoting around £800pp.

I'm so happy to say that I have now managed to get flights at £460pp with the outbound flight via London to EWR and the return flight from JFK direct into Manchester.

Now we have 9 months to find the perfect hotel AND plan our days in NYC.

Excited.com!!!!!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC Trip - Query about hotel price fluctuation

Make sure that you are registered on all the hotel websites.

Every so often, they will e-mail you with deals. I have booked and cancelled 4 or 5 hotels, always finding something better.

I eventually booked after getting an e-mail offer from lastminute.com offering 15% discount.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC Trip - Query about hotel price fluctuation

Thanks Royal-Archie!

I am registered with Booking.com, Expedia and Lastminute. Any others I should register with?

The hotel I fancy most is Casablanca Hotel. But at the moment it's a bit more expensive then I would like to pay. The less we would pay for a decent hotel, the more we can spend while we are there. ;)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,971 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC Trip - Query about hotel price fluctuation

I assume you know you usually have to stay over a Sat. night to get decent fares from the UK.

If the Casablanca is your first choice, join their fquent guest program now.

Hkhotels.com

That will get you emails from them.

Travelzoo.com

Is another good place to watch (or sign up with).