We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit 9/11 Memorial but skip the museum?

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visit 9/11 Memorial but skip the museum?

I'll be visiting NYC next month and would like to see the 9/11 Memorial. However, most reviews I've read and the high price ($24/person) have me thinking I should skip the museum. Would I still get a good experience if I just see the memorial and not go inside the museum? Also, if I just visit the memorial, how much time should I plan on being there, about an hour to 90 minutes?

Thanks!

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit 9/11 Memorial but skip the museum?

I really don't think the price is high for entry to the museum. It is thoughtfully organized with much detail. I'm glad that my daughters and I experienced it.

No one can predict how long you want to pay your respect at the memorial. That is personal and subjective.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit 9/11 Memorial but skip the museum?

Skip the museum on the merit of it. The experience could be quite upsetting.

If price is the only concern then the museum is absolutely worth the price.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit 9/11 Memorial but skip the museum?

There are two identical pools representing the foundations of the buildings. It is not necessary to visit both for equal times. There are many who were present in the city that day who have no desire to visit the museum for personal reasons.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,405 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit 9/11 Memorial but skip the museum?

The Memorial is very worthwhile seeing to pay your respects and it's very peaceful. 30 minutes is about average from what I've read.

The Museum itself is also peaceful but there are things in there that are very harrowing and pretty disturbing. There are also personal items from some of the victims which makes for a very sad visit. Go if you really want to but imo the Memorial is just as good to visit.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit 9/11 Memorial but skip the museum?

**Would I still get a good experience if I just see the memorial and not go inside the museum?**

Yes you should have a "good experience."

Just know that the memorial and Museum and 2 TOTALLY different things.

The Museum contains artifacts, recordings, video, etc of 9/11. It can take hours to go through it.

The Memorial is the plaza outside the Museum with the 2 "falls" on which the Twin Towers stood. You can spend a long time here also, but it is totally different.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit 9/11 Memorial but skip the museum?

Plan to visit both places. Allot a few hours and use less if you find yourself ready to move on a bit earlier.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit 9/11 Memorial but skip the museum?

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to see the museum, or even not wanting to see the memorial for that matter. These are recent and tragic events and it's no problem to not want to relive those on a holiday. Many NYers would have no interest in visiting these sites. The memorial is now an open space that can be accessed any time from, I believe, 7 AM to 9 PM. It's free and peaceful. I would think a half hour would be plenty of time, most clients I bring there spend 15-20 minutes.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

8. Re: Visit 9/11 Memorial but skip the museum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:17