We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Assistance - 15 Jan- 15Feb 15.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Assistance - 15 Jan- 15Feb 15.

Dear All

I am booked into the Marrakech Hotel from 15Jan-15Feb 15 but just read that it was illegal.

I have contacted two apartment agencies, their respective response was no availability and to wait until I arrive in NYC to receive a tour. I am very skeptical of renting through airbnb.

Any assistance with hotel/accommodation advice for that period would be much appreciated. I aiming for a budget under $5000 for the month for 2 people. Any location near a subway and no shared bathrooms are my other requests.

Many thanks

Emily

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Assistance - 15 Jan- 15Feb 15.

That is a bargain time for hotels. You should have no problem finding something for $150/night.

It's good that you aren't staying at the Marrakech! and at that price... that's insane!

Candlewood Suites Manhattan Times Square is showing availability for $129/night (+ tax) and you will have a full kitchen. That's a refundable rate on their own website, but a small room with a queen bed and just one arm chair.

For a bit more, you could stay in one of the apartment style suites at Chelsea Lodge. Their suites are in studio apartments in a small brownstone on a nice tree-lined street near the Highline in Chelsea. Full kitchen, dining table, a queen bed and a big sofa with coffee table. A true studio apartment, with high ceilings so it feels relatively spacious. (I've stayed there). They are showing $159 + tax/night.

Note that you will be wanting to look at the City Side 1st Floor suite or Garden Side suite. ChelseaLodge.com They also have an inn a couple doors down, but that's mostly european style with shared baths. I would phone them and see if you can get a deal for a 30 day stay in one of the suites.

Also look at Radio City Apartments radiocityapts.com They are showing a queen studio (with kitchen) for ~$4000 or $4700 with tax your time period. Again, contact them about whether you can get a better rate for an extended stay. I know they have some spacious apartment style suites, but photos of this one show only a bed. Get more info about it. Don't spend a month sitting on a bed! Remember, that time period may be cold! You will be spending time in your room.

NYWhiz often mentions a site Apartments2Book.com which is a U.K. agency that has good deals with a number of NYC apartment style hotels. Since it's a one month stay, it might be especially good for that. I think one of the properties they feature is Murray Hill Suites (apartment style), which could be affordable for that time period. They seem to be booking mostly through agencies these days.

No matter what, I think you will want to contact the hotel about whether you can get a long stay rate vs simply booking whatever is presented on line. And get something with comfortable seating and a kitchen or at least a fridge. Living on a bed for a month is nuts :-)

One more idea: Staying 30 days can actually limit your options. It would be an opportunity to split your stay and experience living in 2 different neighborhoods. Think about booking two 2-week stays.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Assistance - 15 Jan- 15Feb 15.

^^^ Great advice Chris. +1 that! I learnt to always contact the hotel if I am staying for a week or more. It can make a difference in price and any kind of upgrade. Hotels are more than willing to make you an offer during quiet times. And yes- I would stay in at least two different areas during a stay that long. I know the Affinas and some other places have long stay prices on their websites for apartment style rooms with kitchenettes. Whiz will have more. How fantastic for you guys. Have fun planning it all.

http://www.affinia.com

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Assistance - 15 Jan- 15Feb 15.

Emily , I had an extended stay in NY and the Milburn on the UWS gave me a good rate for staying more than 2 weeks. You could give them a try also. As others mentioned, I stayed in two different areas and that was a good way to experience different aspects of the city.Good luck!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Assistance - 15 Jan- 15Feb 15.

I highly recommend Radio City Apartments. It's a fantastic hotel in a great location on W49th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues. There are ten different subway lines that take between 30 seconds and 5 minutes to walk to. We got an excellent deal there in February this year for staying 10 nights and before leaving where told by reception that if we are staying 10 nights or more next time to ring/email them as they do deals for longer stays.

All rooms have kitchen facilities and some of the bigger ones have couches and tables and chairs. If you're staying for a month then this will come in handy.

Destination Expert JennyR usually stays for over a month when in NYC. I can't recall where she stays but she gets a good deal and recommends the venue. If she doesn't pop up in this conversation then click on her picture on the right (not viewable on a smart phone) and send her a message.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Assistance - 15 Jan- 15Feb 15.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the help and I will definitely check out the apartment-like options. Thinking about it, I agree Chris - having no kitchen for a month would be a bit nuts!

The Marrakech was under my budget but after looking a few times, I couldn't find anything better. I'm really glad I asked here because it appears I wasn't looking too well and didn't have some important info like contacting hotels directly :)

Thanks again

Emily

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Assistance - 15 Jan- 15Feb 15.

The place we stay - the AKA Central Park - will be over your budget.

But I have to say I've learnt heaps reading this thread about where to stay for (much) cheaper.

I've already recommended kt's Radio City Apartments suggestion to friends going to NYC for their 10th Anniversary in 2015. Very good location. But Chris's suggestion of Chelsea Lodge also looks great and I'll be sending that off to them too now.

Have a great time (I hope it's not as cold for that period in 2015 as it was in 2014).

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Assistance - 15 Jan- 15Feb 15.

The Beacon Hotel on the UWS has two room suites with full kitchens. Great neighborhood to explore.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Assistance - 15 Jan- 15Feb 15.

Suttoncourt.com

Specializes in monthly rentals. It's on east 57th st. near First Ave. so not as close to a subway as many of the plces mentioned. The nearest station I believe is at Bloomgindales. It's nicr than all the places listed so far except Jenny's AKA. AKA also has a Sutton Place location, btw, not too far from Sutton Court. I would get price wuotes from all these places and then decide. I would also contactthe

Beaconhotel.com

in the same area as the Milburn but a bit nicer. Since that time you're here is off season (except for your last night!) you could get a great deal.

PS Emily we're all assuming at least one of you is 21 or older.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Assistance - 15 Jan- 15Feb 15.

Thanks Jenny and rob for the info.

Hi nywhiz - I am over 21, this is my 4th trip to NYC my previous stays were at a hostel and the Marriott Marquis in Times Square but I want to really get out and explore a bit more this time around for a longer time.

All really good tips and info from everyone :)

Emily

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Assistance - 15 Jan- 15Feb 15.

Another idea just occurred to me. International House in the UWS. Frangipani once lived there and has lots of good things to say about it. It could be a unique experience and a bit more social. It might also be pretty affordable.

Do a forum search for prior discussions. You can contact her directly and I'm sure she'd be happy to answer questions. You'll find her on the forum Destination Experts list.