We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takeout and pizza by the slice

Melbourne
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Takeout and pizza by the slice

Hi all :)

This may be a silly question but I'll be going solo to New York soon and pizza is one of the foods I'd like to try lots of! But being by myself I'm wondering, is there an easy way to know if a place sells pizza by the slice? I don't know about eating a whole New York sized pizza myself, and I'd hate to have to throw the remaining out.

Also, do most places do takeout and is it obvious? I'm talking more 'casual' places like diners etc or will there be times I'd have to ask?

On that note, I'm use to saying 'take away' here in Australia. Will I confuse people if I say this in the US?

Sorry I know they all must sound like obvious answers!

I am planning on eating in at places, but I think it'll be nice to just have takeout some days to take back to my hotel.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
SottoCasa Pizzeria
££ - £££, Italian, Pizza, Mediterranean
Juliana's Pizza
££ - £££, Pizza
Sottocasa Pizzeria
££ - £££, Italian, Pizza
New Jersey
Level Contributor
591 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Takeout and pizza by the slice

Most places sell pizza by the slice but if you're hungry then by all means have more. :) When you ask for the pizza you just say, "I'd like two slices to go" or whatever amount you'd prefer. "Takeout" refers to food that you order and take from the place. People may say in conversation that, "We're going to have take out tonight" but you really don't walk into a place and say, "I'd like some takeout".

DC
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Takeout and pizza by the slice

A place does takeout if they say yes when you ask.

If there are pre-made pies cut into slices on a counter or if there are slice prices posted, they sell slices.

Say whatever you want. You've got a goofy accent, so people will understand.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,575 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Takeout and pizza by the slice

I don't know that most places sell slices...many of the famous places you know about do not. But many DO serve small pies with thin crust that are not that difficult to eat as one person. If you will have a fridge and microwave in your room, taking home what you don't eat is normal.

There are LOADS of websites to help you dind good pizza. Hee,s just one. Google for more and include "slice" in your search.

…seriouseats.com/archives/2014/02/how-to-fin…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
591 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Takeout and pizza by the slice

Hmm.. Perhaps some of the "famous' places are not "slice friendly". I have had plenty of pizza by the slice in NYC but at the more local places not the touristy spots. Speaking of touristy spots, I do like Bleeker St. Pizza and they do sell by the slice. I can just taste it now.........

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Takeout and pizza by the slice

When I was in NYC I had broccoli on my pizza. It was a little weird. But then some people think pineapple on a pizza is strange, yet it is one of the most common pizza toppings in Australia.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
Level Contributor
591 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Takeout and pizza by the slice

"When I was in NYC I had broccoli on my pizza. It was a little weird. But then some people think pineapple on a pizza is strange, yet it is one of the most common pizza toppings in Australia."

Broccoli is a lot more common around here than it was years ago. But then, I had pineapple on a pizza in California back in the early 80's. I thought that was unusual then.. and still do now. :)

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Takeout and pizza by the slice

There's generally an an obvious difference between sit-down pizzerias and by-the-slice pizzerias. Most of the sit-down places look like actual restaurants with waiters, bars, and all the trappings. Slice joints are small, sparse places with a counter to order from and pies pre-made to cut and serve. There will be a few small tables and a fridge for sodas. Both places will sell pizzas to go but only the small ones do it by the slice.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

USA
Level Contributor
14,652 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Takeout and pizza by the slice

NY style pizza, large pies, 18" or larger sometimes, sold in slices. 8 slices to a pie, but sold by the slice at slice joints. Usually you'll see the pies/slices on display.

Neapolitan pizza are individual pies at sit down places. You can eat a whole pie and these are different than slice pies. Usually about 12", but thin and delicious. These are made to order for you.

I love pizza and here are some ideas to get you thinking:

My favorite slice joint: Joe's, either the Carmine St. location or the 14th St. location, but the Carmine St. location is better because it's right next to Bleecker St.

http://www.joespizzanyc.com

Another good slice is Bella Napoli, there are two locations, but I've only been to the one on Madison.

http://www.bellanapoli.com

For Neapolitan, plenty of great choices, here are some of my favorites:

Luzzo's in the East Village is my favorite Neapolitan pie. They have a 12" (common for Neapolitan), but also a 16" pie and a square pie:

luzzosgroup.com/luzzos-group-restaurants/luz…

In the West Village is Keste:

http://kestepizzeria.com

On the fringes of Times Square on W50th, just west of 8th Ave is Don Antonio (same owner as Keste):

http://www.donantoniopizza.com/Welcome

To go is the common lingo, but try to enjoy some of your pizza while people watching, especially at Joe's. I'm not a big fan of pizza that's been sitting in a bag or a box for time. It changes the consistency and is always best enjoyed when fresh out of the oven. Most slice places reheat slices, but the same concept of enjoying right out of the oven.

Oh, don't eat at those 99 cent slice places.

Mentioned in this post
Carmine's Italian Restaurant - Upper West Side
Carmine's Italian...
1,503 Reviews
New York City, NY
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
East Village
East Village
100 Reviews
New York City, NY
West Village
West Village
1,393 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,136 Reviews
New York City, NY
Don Antonio
Don Antonio
1,836 Reviews
New York City, NY
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Takeout and pizza by the slice

Most of the truly great pizza's are sold by the pie (for instance John's on Bleecker Street, Otto's and Arturo's in the Village. BUT, for a very tasty slice, try Joe’s Pizza at 7 Carmine Street, near 6th Avenue (AKA Avenue of the Americas).

CH

Edited: 24 August 2014, 15:09
Mentioned in this post
Arturo's
Arturo's
294 Reviews
New York City, NY
Carmine's Italian Restaurant - Upper West Side
Carmine's Italian...
1,503 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Takeout and pizza by the slice

Most of the pizza places in NYC sell by the slice. The "famous/touristy" ones may not. But you will have no trouble finding pizza by the slice in NYC.

Mentioned in this post