We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC then DC - when?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
NYC then DC - when?

I have 3 weeks saved up vacation time, and I need it! I'm thinking to go to NYC then take Amtrak to DC. I also would like to take a day to see fall foliage if possible, maybe on a train?

How should I split my time between the two cities? Is there a better time to take the Amtrak (weekend, weekdays)?

Also, I haven't yet bought plane tickets. I'd like to go in either late September or October before it gets too cold (and before I burnout at work!!). What would you recommend as good dates that don't conflict with huge events in the city when hotel prices would be inflated? I'm traveling solo.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,421 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC then DC - when?

Unfortunately Sept. and Oct. are expensive in hotels in NYC. The best foliage will be north of Manhattan into New England. Mid October is when much of New Enlgand is at peak foliage. The best way to see foliage is by car although there are some train trips specifically for foliage. First, here's a foliage map and info

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/

I don't know about pricing/direct plane routes but I would consider flying into Washington and out of Boston. Take a train from Washington to NYC, then train or car through New England and end in Boston. How long to spend in each place depends on your tastes. Mid Sept. is very exepenive in NYC hotels. Columbus day weekend is the biggest leaf peeping weekend in the northeast so try to avoid that if you can.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 16:22
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,464 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC then DC - when?

Last year, we had a spectacular leaf change in NYC, but often, the leaves just turn brown and fall off the trees. I suspect the temperature changes in the city are not ideal for leaf color. This year, we had a cold winter and the summer has been unusually cool. There are some trees in my area that are already getting a bit pale green, so matters might be early this year. Typically, color change holds off until roughly November 1st for areas closest to NYC. As mentioned, parts of the country north of NYC generally have better leaf color than here.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC then DC - when?

Thanks for the replies! This is actually my first visit to NYC so I'll want to make sure to stay there long enough to see lots of sights! Maybe 14 days?

I do like train travel so taking Amtrak from DC to NYC then from NYC to Boston is a great idea.

Any feedback on good/bad dates in NYC or good/bad days of week to take the train?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,421 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC then DC - when?

Most important train facts (imo)

-the earlier you book, the more likely you are to get lowest fares. I think $49/each way is the lowest fare for both Wash/NYC and NYC/Boston and must be booked at least 2 weeks in advance of travel but may sell out before that

-general consensus that the Acela fast train is not worth the extra cost. Both Acela and regular northeast corridor trains are apt to be late.

-using redcaps (porters) is a good way to get a good seat and get on the train a bit earleir than the crowds

If you dont want to drive into New England, and I can understand you might not want to do that solo, consider some day trips by train north of NYC using Metro North. Even going as far as Poughkeepsie is an option. Here are the daytrip ideas by train.

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/outbound.htm

A lot of business people use the train between these cities or use the train for weekend getaways. I think it's less about days of the week than imes of trains. If you look on the

Amtrak.com

Website you'll see prices luctuate by time of day. You can alao do some googling for Amtrak discounts which sometimes crop up. Also use AAA or student discounts if they apply to you.

If you're on a tight budget, you might find 2 weeks in NYC too expensive.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,550 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC then DC - when?

Also, please note noone can predict this far out when the peak colors will be. Some years just don't cooperate. Just be prepared for disappointment.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC then DC - when?

Thanks nywhiz and all! Truly I'm more interested in seeing the city sights than the trees but I'll keep this all in mind. I realize that hotels might be expensive this time of year but I am thinking that shared bath would be ok. Reading the forum and learning lots!

7. Re: NYC then DC - when?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:16