We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quickest travel option for st john the divine

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
quickest travel option for st john the divine

Hello, a couple of friends and I want to visit St. John the Divine on friday afternoon and I was wondering what the best transportation option would be. We'll be starting from near Grand Central. Would it be quicker to take the subway or to just get a taxi? About how long should we budget for travel time?

Thanks for any help!

--Ana

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quickest travel option for st john the divine

The subway is usually quicker for any trip. Go to

Maps.google.com

Type in the trip, pick the exact date and time. You'll get estimated time for taxi (driving). Then click the train icon at the upper left corner and get subway directions and estimated time.

Nyccabfare.com

Will give you an estimated cost.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 19:51
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,662 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quickest travel option for st john the divine

Taxi time depends on traffic.

I like www.hopstop.com to compute routes.

3. Re: quickest travel option for st john the divine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 19:55
Edited: 24 August 2014, 19:55
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quickest travel option for st john the divine

Here are directions to St John the Divine:

http://www.stjohndivine.org/visit/directions

With light traffic, a taxi can get there from Midtown in about 15 minutes; maybe 20 minutes by subway (give or take).

CH

Edited: 24 August 2014, 19:56
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: quickest travel option for st john the divine

Well google maps is claiming 15 mins to drive which is just ridiculous imo vs 30-40 mins by train. I suppose it's possible the city will be empty on the Fri. of Labor Day weekend.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
451 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: quickest travel option for st john the divine

I think 15 - 20 mins is certainly possible by car and I have driven the same area in about that time. Even with traffic it's only about 4-5 miles and not too bad once you get on Columbus Ave. Fridays are busier but I have been through there at that time of day and it wasn't too bad. But you never know.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: quickest travel option for st john the divine

If you are not in a rush on the way back, you could catch the M4 bus on Broadway or 110th St. that goes eastward and then down Fifth Ave. It is a good and cheap sightseeing trip.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: quickest travel option for st john the divine

Thanks for the help everyone! Looking at the travel times I think we might catch a taxi on the way there (we'll be on our feet all morning so that might actually be a nice break) and then the train or bus back depending on how much time we have.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: quickest travel option for st john the divine

If your feet can cope, after visiting St John's take a walk through Columbia University, then across to Riverside Park to Grant's Tomb. It's a beautiful area with interesting architecture. The bus back to midtown is the M5 which I think is one of the best bus route in NYC.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: quickest travel option for st john the divine

".....take a walk through Columbia University, then across to Riverside Park to Grant's Tomb...."

+1, "Yes", it is a great area. We worked in the Interchurch Center office building many, many years ago and would often walk through the campus. We travelled up there and back to the Village almost every workday for 3 years and it was usually a quick trip.

CH