We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dream Downtown or Sixty soho or The James?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dream Downtown or Sixty soho or The James?

Hi we have tentatively booked the dream but on second thought thought we may prefer one of the others.

Could you pls give advice to what you think is better or should we just stick with the dream??

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,976 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dream Downtown or Sixty soho or The James?

What,s your concern about the Dream? What are you looking for in a hotel?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dream Downtown or Sixty soho or The James?

Sorry I did have another post but nothing was being answered about the sixty or the James so decided to start a new one :-)

My husband and I are coming on our honeymoon and these are the 3 hotels which to us looked best.

Both 30, love great food and going out for a few drinks. Possibly a club one night (and not liking some of the reviews for the club at dream)

I guess I'm just wanting the opinions of others, good and bad so we can then decide.

We also want to stay where we would be out at night the most and can then navigate getting around on subways/walking during the day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dream Downtown or Sixty soho or The James?

So you do mention daytime, so I will ask, what do you want to do during the day?

I saw the other thread about accomodation. Everyone is suggesting staying downtown.

Whether you stay in that area of Manhattan would depend on the balance of what you want to do in the day time and the night time.

You can be out in Manhattan at night all the time and get around during the day. It's not like living in Melbourne. The public transport system is amazing in NYC, including at night past 9pm, unlike Melbourne!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dream Downtown or Sixty soho or The James?

Oh, I should also mention that the huge draw card to dream to me was the rooftop bar. I'd love to go back to the hotel at night after dinner and go up for an evening drink the easily head back down stairs to bed but with further research have found that it's a $300 minimum spend for 2 at the place in the dream. Totally put me off as I def won't be doing that every night! :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dream Downtown or Sixty soho or The James?

JennyR I'm more concerned about to much walking around in heels at night to be honest :-) which is why I prefer to stay meat packing or soho as I think we would be spending a lot of time there at night.

During the days we have varied things planned

D1 met life stadium for footy

D2 shopping and Central Park, TOTR, possibly a twilight cruise then drinks

D3 9/11 museum, century 21 and soho shopping and exploring. hopefully little owl for lunch, possibly buddakan for dinner

D4 (so far) Bouley for late lunch then broadway

D5 exploring Brooklyn walk back over the bridge and out for dinner possibly club (thurs night)

D5 leaving in arvo

That's the plan so far anyway :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dream Downtown or Sixty soho or The James?

" $300 minimum spend for 2 at the place in the dream. "

You mean at the PhD lounge at dream ???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dream Downtown or Sixty soho or The James?

Yes that's it. I couldn't think of what it was called.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dream Downtown or Sixty soho or The James?

This is news to me. I have been to PhD lounge a few times and was never asked to spend any minimum amount. You know there is a Gansevoort and Standard in Meatpacking district as well with a great rooftop.

Could you please post the link where you saw this information.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dream Downtown or Sixty soho or The James?

I have just been reading reviews from varied sites. Quite distressing reviews from some really. Taking peoples credit cards and coming back wiith a receipt for $300 when the person just thought they were starting a tab. Not letting some girls in because the were to fat! That doesn't sit right with me and yes I know we can't believe everything we read but there we're quite a few and even one from a male NYer who was in line overhearing what was happening to these girls so he left he was so appalled.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dream Downtown or Sixty soho or The James?

Well...that could be for the line to the club outside. Remember when its 11 pm on a Friday and Saturday night and the whole of new Jersey is trying to get in...then the people at the door use their discretion. Girls usually don't have an issues getting it in.

At that point the people at the door are trying to make sure the best quality people get in. Sometime they ask if the men would like to buy a bottle.

I am pretty sure the bouncer did not call the girl fat on her face or trust me its NYC...it would have been a scene.

Also, if you stay at the hotel then you WILL NOT have any issue going up to the rooftop.

I have never heard of them charging $300. I was there last weekend for a Birthday party and it was just fine.

Why don't you contact the hotel and confirm about the $300 bar tab. Also, this area has a ton of other great rooftop bars and places to hang out. Either way you will be fine.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 15:31