We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Trip

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
New York Trip

Right we have decided to spend a wet Bank Holiday Monday planning and booking things for our forthcoming trip to NY towards the end of October. Staying Monday to Friday

Flights and hotel were booked some time ago so we don't need to bother about that.

We need our hands holding a bit as this is our first time...so be patient.

First thing is the airport transfer from Newark for two people....please do not tell me to go to the top right hand corner because I need more detail than is in that section please

We are due in the airport at about 12:30 so hoping to be at the hotel late afternoon...thought we would get HOHO bus to get our bearings ...but will we get best value activating it at that time of day.

We are staying at the Ameritania Hotel and these are things we want to do so if anyone can put into any geographical order we would be grateful

Empire State Building

Ground Zero

Staten Island Ferry

Rockefeller Building

Grand Central Station

Central Park

Brooklyn Bridge

We want to take in an evening cruise so any recommendations on this would be good

And any other suggestions...as I say we need our hands holding

Thanks in anticipation for your help

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Trip

Have you looked at a map? That will help you "group" things.

Its not called ground zero btw

I like to use a car service from Newark like dial7, all state or carmel

Do you want to take public transport?

Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Trip

Hi Boltonrobbo7

I won't offer advice on the transfer or HOHO query - as these are things we haven't done. But - to get you started - I would group these attractions together:

Staten Island Ferry - 9/11 Memorial - Brooklyn Bridge

(You could also consider seeing some more of the Financial District - including Wall Street and the Charging Bull and if you want to spend some time in Brooklyn - head to the Ice cream Factory/Brooklyn promenade and Janes Carousel - take a walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge for the views and photo opportunities)

Empire State Building - Rockefeller Building - Grand Central Station

(There are lots of iconic things to see in the mid-town area - including strolling 5th Avenue, Chrysler building, Central Library and Bryant Park, Macys etc... and Times Square - which I would recommend seeing at night)

Central Park.

(This could be a full day in itself if you wanted it to be - but if not, then you could have the option of strolling the park in the morning, maybe stopping for lunch at the Loeb Boathouse, then head to the American Museum of Natural History or the Met in the afternoon).

This would give you 3 full days - you would still have other days left to explore some of the other neighbourhoods - Chinatown, Soho, The Village... Personally, I would take some time to see the Highline and Chelsea market area - this was a favourite from our last trip. Also - consider seeing a show one evening... possibly after your Central Park day. There are lots to choose from and most receive fantastic reviews!

Hope this helps...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,149 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Trip

With five days you'll have time to see and do a lot more things.

What about Greenwich Village and Washington Square Park, Central Park, a big museum (AMNH or The Met), Flatiron district, Madison Square Park and Eataly, walking the High Line, Chelsea Market, Union Square?

For cruises Circle Line is often recommended as are the water taxi cruises or a dinner cruise on the Bateaux.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Trip

**First thing is the airport transfer from Newark for two people....please do not tell me to go to the top right hand corner because I need more detail than is in that section please**

-You can take a cab/car service or public transportation. You need to advise.

**thought we would get HOHO bus to get our bearings ...but will we get best value activating it at that time of day.**

-Not sure about this question? What is your concern?

**And any other suggestions...as I say we need our hands holding**

-You are going to have to help the forum hep you. What are your interests: Museums/shopping/music/foodies/sports/photography/laid back vacations/etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
396 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Trip

On the day of your arrival your body clock will be out of sych. By the time you get to the hotel late in the afternoon your body clock will say it is 6 hours later. I suggest that you just plan to relax the first day & get a good night sleep

Edited: 25 August 2014, 15:22
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Trip

LMV...yes I have looked at a map but it is difficult to gauge distances and even more so timings...how long will it take to get from A to B and how long can A take or B take.

I sincerely hope calling it ground zero hasnt offended any one there was no intention

Will have a look at Dial7

Dont really want to use public transport with the luggage unless it is really straightforward.

Coopy88...thanks for your response which is extremely helpful..I will research some of your ideas.

Aynat62......thanks for your response...it will be a dinner cruise wewill be looking at...I have looked at the Bateaux but it is quite a bit more than the others.....that isnt a problem if it is worth the difference

ter1413....Airport transfer....what do you want me to advise you off please? .....I am asking for more specific information on the ways to get from the airport to the hotel

HOHO ...as I understand it you can get for example a 36 hour pass on the bus and I am just trying to work out in my mind if I lose out activating it late afternoon...or would I get more use starting it early morning

Any other suggestions.....just that ...any other suggestions

OKvik1...thanks for your warning...we know exactly what you mean as we go to Florida quite a bit ...when there we try to stay up as late as possible that first night...know we will still be awake at stupid o clock in the morning...that is why I thought the HOHO may be a good idea

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Trip

Re airport transfer-you needed to advise(in your initial post) if you wanted to take a cab or use public transportation. It looks by your follow up that you have decided on a car service.

new york
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York Trip

I would just get a 1 day HOHO pass and I would use it first thing on the morning on your first full day. Please remember that they aren't good for transportation (you spend a lot of time sitting in traffic) but more to just help you get your bearings and note places that you may want to come back and explore on your own.

9. Re: New York Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 06:16