We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Subway directions .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
678 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Subway directions .

Hi!

I need to get to Lafayette and White Street to meet my friends. I'll be coming from Grand Central/ Which subways can I take? Woll I be far from Lafayette and White? Also, when I'm coming back, which subway do I take back and where doo I get off? Is it Times Square Station? Lastly, if I wanted to take a taxim would it be very far and expensive? Oh, imn the event that I wanted to walk back to Grand Central Station, would it be safe to walk back up following Broadway from Lafayette Dtreet? Thanks so much. Lucia

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Subway directions .

Do you have a subway map? Print this one out and follow along:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Take the #6 train downtown from Grand Central Terminal-42nd Street. Get off at Canal Street. Walk south on Lafayette about 2 blocks.

For future subway directions, here are two great websites:

http://www.hopstop.com/?city=newyork

http://brail.org/transit/nyc.html

I'd also recommend signing up for the Not For Tourists guide. It's free to register, and you can print out all their maps for free! (I bet that you'll end up buying it, It's a great book.)

http://www.notfortourists.com/newyork.aspx

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Subway directions .

QB's answer is correct (as usual, and of course), but a few comments:

Down in that part of town, the #6 runs under Lafayette Street, so when you come upstairs, at Canal, you are at the corner of Lafayette. White is easy to spot, because it is the street that has the wonderful Napoleon Lebrun-designed former firehouse on the corner that looks like a chateau.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but it seems remarkable to me that you do not understand that you take the same subway back that you took down. If you take the 6 to get from Grand Central to Lafayette and Canal, and then walk two blocks to White, in order to get back to Grand Central you walk two blocks from White to Canal and Lafayette, and then take the #6 back to Grand Central. Since you got ON at Grand Central, you get OFF at Grand Central. Times Square is a half mile away from Grand Central, so I don't know why you are thinking of getting off the train there -- and in any case, the #6 does not go to Times Square.

There is no need to take a taxi, so don't even think about it.

It is perfectly safe to walk up Broadway day or night, but since Broadway and Lafayette stret are parallel and never cross, you cannot walk up Broadway from Lafayette Street, although you can walk up Broadway from White. However, Grand Central is nowhere near Broadway, so I don't undestand why you are thinking of walking on Broadway at all, and in any case it is really too far (about three miles or more) to walk from White to Grand Central easily -- so just follow the subway directions QB gave you in REVERSE in order to get back to where you got on the train.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Subway directions .

Thank you QB and Green,White, and Blue!

Yes, I know I can reverse the directions but I just want to be super sure of what I'm doing because I've been lost before. Also, what street could I walk up back to Grand Central or the United Nations building if I wanted to anyways. I looked at the map and thought Broadway would run up to the area of the station. Thanks. Lucia

rqf
New York City
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Subway directions .

A taxi will cost less than $10, not including a tip.

The walk back to Times Square is just under 3 miles. Ask for directions to Broadway. Walk north on Broadway to 42nd Street. It is a safe walk that takes you through SOHO.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Subway directions .

Not sure where Lucia is from, but over here in Europe, at least the continent we do not use north, south east and west as directions, we go left right up and down to point someone in the right direction.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Subway directions .

Get out a map and follow along:

Broadway veers to the northwest as it proceeds up Manhattan. (It's based on an old Native American trail and a colonial postal road.) Since you want to stay on the east side of Manhattan, you should not take Broadway all the way up.

You can take Broadway to, say, 14th Street-Union Square, which is an interesting stretch of Broadway down there. You'll go through Soho and Greenwich Village.

Then, north of Union Square, stay on Fifth Avenue. This will take you past the Empire State Building.

When you get to 42nd Stret, make a right.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Subway directions .

Slight correction to what QB said above.

Fifth Avenue does not go to Union Square, but is a block west of it. Broadway, heading north from Union Square, intersects Fifth at 23rd Street.. To get directly to Grand Central from Union Square, though, head north on Park Avenue South -- which you will find at the northeas corner of Union Square.

Three miles = five kilometers. Why do you want to walk so far, when the subway is right there, and there are any number of buses that you can take?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Subway directions .

Thanks RGF, Pbuys2, QB, and Greenwhiteand blue!

I made the trip yesterday and I ended up going back on the #4 subway from the corner of Lafayette and Canal. However, I almost got on the wrong subway going back because I back tracked to the same station I came in on but saw Downtown signs. I asked a few very nice people and I finally found the right station that was diagonal to the one I got off of. It was pouring by then and I thought that I was suppose to go back only on a #6 or #7 train. When I heard the subway announcement say that this was a Bronx bound train. I froze. I then asked another person next to me and they told me that this was the last stop on the train and that the #4 would indeed stop at 42nd street before then. IHowever, I did recognize Astor Place, Bleeker Street, 23rd Street, and 28th Streets. I then figured I must be okay. Phew! Now, the reason I ask about walking is that I am a person who feels safe knowing I have all my options covered. As a matter of fact, I tried to get a taxi yesterday but they were all taken. You guys are so sweet to help me. You know I am from Pennsylvania and not so good with the subways. Thank you for helping me. It will come back to you someday. Lucia

9. Re: Help! Subway directions .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 10:35