We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bloomies question

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
Bloomies question

Hi all

Aware this might not receive any answers but asking anyway ;)

An ex colleague visited ny bloomingdales three years ago and picked up canvas/material type "little brown bags" for around $1 - I remember her saying they were by the till/register. I'm no longer in touch with her and Google isn't much help in this case - does anyone know if they still sell these? They aren't particularly big but I did want to buy a fair few as gifts for my friends to use as lunch/umbrella bags for work.

I'm not planning on spending a lot of time in this shop - would gladly run in for these and quickly depart if anyone knew where I could find them? I think they are an alternative to the paper bags for use when you make purchases but this lady bought around twenty to use as christmas gift bags!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,100 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Canada
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bloomies question

Go in the Lexington Avenue entrance, up the stairs and straight ahead into the handbag department. Take a few twists and turns (or simply ask for directions) and you will find the "small goods", a collection of wallets, phone cases, etc. They have Bloomingdales' shopping bags in various sizes - a coated rubber, rather than canvas. I don't recall seeing anything in the $1 range, though.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bloomies question

They have them. Not sure if they are $1.

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bloomies question

Fantastic :) thank you very much. I did think a dollar was a strangly low price for this store but i will quickly check it out when I'm in the area

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bloomies question

I distinctly remember there being something about affordable shopping bags as a souvenir in Jenny's TR .... but I'll leave it for you to find out where ^_^:

tripadvisor.com/…59393512

right, no, it was in this one:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7553735…

page 10

Edited: 25 August 2014, 21:16
Canada
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bloomies question

Trader Joe's bags are awesome, and cheap. And you can pick up some dark chocolate peanut butter cups at the same time.

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bloomies question

Oh yes! We'll done, traders joes on to do list ;)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bloomies question

However, Trader Joes is not really specific to NYC.

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,222 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bloomies question

Strand bookstore also has the coated bags for cheap. They are a very cute red plaid.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bloomies question

Ter, Trader Joe actually makes bags for specific cities, so OP can buy bags that are unique to New York.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bloomies question

Understand(I have a trader joes 3 blocks away). What I mean is that TG's is not really a NYC thing vs Bloomies/Macys/etc.

If you show someone a TG bag outside of the US, they probably would not have no idea what it is.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 23:41