We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Fine Tuning! Help is greatly appreciated!

California
Level Contributor
211 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Fine Tuning! Help is greatly appreciated!

Itinerary is in much need of fine tuning. This will be our 2nd trip and this time around it seems harder to plan. Why I do not know. NYC is filled with endless possibilites!!!! We will be there October 14-21. Any and all critiques would be appreciated.

Tuesday, October 14th

Flat Iron Building

Garment District

Mood

Rooftop Bar – 132 W. 47th Street – Birthday celebration

Wednesday

Grand Central Station

Chrysler Building

New York Public Library

Bryant Park

United Nations

Tram to Roosevelt Island

Comedy CellarGreenwich Village

Thursday

10:00 am Circle Line Cruise (approx. 90 minutes)

2:00 p.m. High Line Tour (approx. – 2 hours)

Stroll around some art galleries between 10th and 11th Avenues

Meatpacking District ( Anything interesting I should see here?)

Hudson River Park?

Washington Square

Night – Webster Hall Dance Club

Friday

10:00 a.m. Lower Manhattan tour ( approx. 2 hours)

Lunch??????

Staten Island Ferry

Ellis Island

Tribeca

Soho

Saturday (This day seems a little sparse, any suggestions, would be appreciated!!

10:00 am. Central Park Bike Tour ( 2 hours)

Upper West SideColumbus Circle, Lincoln Center, Julliard, Apthorp, Ansonia, San Remo, Dakota, Strawberry Fields

Late Lunch/Early Dinner somewhere? Suggestions, Please!!!

The Guggenheim

Sunday

10:00 a.m – All in one Brooklyn Tour – 6 hours

After Tour explore around Brooklyn.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Fine Tuning! Help is greatly appreciated!

sounds doable to me, but you can't get to Ellis Island with the Staten Island Ferry ....

you need the statue cruises for that (which I would recommend over the ferry anyway)

You'll love Mood!

Don't worry about finding a restaurant in the Upper West area ....

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Fine Tuning! Help is greatly appreciated!

WEDNESDAY

I would do Wednesday in reverse so that you aren't rushing the things that you will probably spend longer on than rushing to do a UN tour. Start with the tram and a sneaky visit to Dylan's Candy Bar. Then walk down 2nd Avenue to the UN or get a bus down 1st Avenue. The UN tour goes for an hour and you'll want a little bit of time to send a postcard from the jurisdiction of the UN post office afterwards, maybe get your face on a UN stamp and look around the visitors centre generally.

It's then just under a 15 min walk to GCT where you could have lunch in the huge food court (including Juniors and Shake Shack) or try the GCT Oyster Bar, which is where the Whispering Wall is - be sure to do this. After you've been to the Chrysler Building walk along E41st Street to 5th Avenue the NYPL. Most people simply take E42nd Street, but E 41st Street is also known as Library Way. There is a bunch of plaques in the ground that immortalise some of the greatest literature authors (think the stars on Hollywood Blvd, but books instead of stars. I'm not doing a good job of describing it, but it’s worth it!). You also come out right in front of the NYPL and will have a great frontal view of it from 5th Avenue rather than if you walk along E42nd St.

FRIDAY

You can only access Ellis Island and Liberty Island through www.statuecruises.com. You can't get off the Staten Island Ferry until you get to Staten Island. You may want to rethink this.

Also, the lines for statue cruises get very long, especially in the nicer months. We usually recommend that you go first thing in the morning to avoid the queues. However, you've got a tour on already so if you do decide to go to Ellis Island (rather than just sail past) then be prepared for a bit of a wait (which is totally worth it).

SATURDAY

You're Saturday isn't that sparse and I'd be reluctant to add more in. Your other days are pretty crowded and its good have some space if you miss something and need time to fit it in elsewhere. Also, keep in mind on a bike tour you have to stay on the paths in Central Park, there may well want to be things you want to go back and look at once you're done.

California
Level Contributor
211 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Fine Tuning! Help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much Ktsnowowl for all of the wonderful feedback. I will definetely be taking your advice with the arrangement of our plans. I figured the Central Park bike tour would give us more of a lay of the land, so if we wanted to go back and revisit something we would know where it is. We got rained on during our last trip to central park, so we did not get to see much. I am so excited to be going again. In your opinion Ellis Island is way worth the wait? I have debating on whether or not to go. Also, I had no idea the UN did a tour, I am so excited to research this. Do you recommend taking the tour? Thanks again for all of your help!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Fine Tuning! Help is greatly appreciated!

My pleasure.

We didn't go to Ellis Island when we were there in February because all of the exhibitions weren't fully open yet due to the destruction of Hurricane Sandy and we wanted to come back when they were so I can't comment on whether it is worth it. Having said that, many people have been going since it reopened and have written positive comments in their trip reports afterwards.

Our UN experience was a little unique. We had intended to do the tour but ran out of time. We had purchased tickets and begged security and then the UN to let us in anyway and skip the tour so we could just go to the visitor's centre and go to the post office. We had to go through the buildings that you go through on the tour to get the visitor's centre and they looked so interesting we were really sad that we didn't have enough time for the tour. We will absolutely be doing it on our next trip. Everyone we know who has done it found it really informative, so if you have the time and I believe that you do, I'd do it,

5. Re: Itinerary Fine Tuning! Help is greatly appreciated!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:16