We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting started on planning- hotel help

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting started on planning- hotel help

Hi,

Looking for recommendations on hotels to look at that are a short walk to the subway system in/around NYC- we are looking at October 2015 and are hoping for something around $250/night so I know we won't be right in the thick of things- but would like the convenience of easy transportation. Is this a pipedream? We don't need anything flash, but will be travelling with a 9 year old, so would like a safe location that is close to transport.

Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
NYC Airporter
Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting started on planning- hotel help

Not a pipedream. I'm paying $ 240 a night for a room with 2 Queen beds + sofa bed at the Courtyard Manhattan midtown East (October 6 -14). It's definitely possible, just got to check prices frequently.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 21:41
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,417 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting started on planning- hotel help

But Ivan, you've probably used your BRG system t oget that rate, something most people dont know how to do. I think it's impossible to predict more than a year in advance what prices will be. Typically Oct. is pricey and $250 (if that's the total you want to pay, you have to allow for taxes tha add 15% to prices) is not enough for a decent Manhattan hotel using a regular booking site. Use this Oct. as a guide and see what you find within your budget. End of Oct. is more expensive than beginning.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting started on planning- hotel help

You are correct, I did^ I suppose generally speaking that price is not that easy find for a decent room in Manhattan in October, so I don't want to make it sound like it's no problem. But if you look early enough, sometimes you will see good prices. Right now, for example, is kind of hard to find that rate.

At the same time it is entirely possible to do it if you know where to look and use things like best rate guarantees(Marriott's in particular). This is the second year in a row I'm going to NYC and not spending over 250.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting started on planning- hotel help

I highly recommend Radio City Apartments; especially given that there will be 3 of us. It's in a fantastic location on W49th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues (closer to 7th) and you can access 10 different subway lines from a 30 second to 5 minute walk. We loved it. However, I can't comment on prices for October, as that is an expensive month.

You may also want to consider Long Island City (not Long Island) in Queens. It's a very short train raid into Manhattan and where the forum usually recommends that people on low budgets stay. The Courtyard Inn and Verve get a lot of recommendations for both their price and their location to subway stops.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
5. Re: Getting started on planning- hotel help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 06:18