We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive Things to Do After Dark

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Topic
Inexpensive Things to Do After Dark

I'm traveling to NYC in mid-October with my boyfriend for 7 days. We're both in our mid-20s and money's a bit tight. What can we do after dark in NYC that is inexpensive (ideally free)? Are there cool neighborhoods to walk around at night? Any parks that are still safe at night? We're not into clubs and I'm afraid bars would be too expensive. Any ideas of what we can do after dinner but before we head back to our hostel each night?

Note: We will be going to Wicked one night and I want to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge on another, but that's all I have planned so far.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive Things to Do After Dark

lonelyplanet.com/usa/…76493

USA
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive Things to Do After Dark

Just get out and explore places like:

Times Square

Union Square

Washington Square Park

Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village, also 8th st/St. Marks

Soho

Etc, etc, etc.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,432 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive Things to Do After Dark

Walk the High Line. It's subtly lit up, very safe to walk, less crowded at night and you'll see a different skyline and neighbourhoods to other parts of the city.

There are different access points depending on where you start from.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive Things to Do After Dark

This FAQ might help...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c62659/New-Yor…

Things in it that might work are the MoMA on free Friday (to 8pm) or a walking tour...many are free and you can investigate their schedules.

And areas to walk around at night - Greenwich Village and Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens/Boerum Hill. The latter areas are next to each other in Brooklyn - take the F train to Smith Street then walk around and then go to Brooklyn Heights to the Promenade to see the views THEN walk back to Manhattan across the Bridge.

Someone mentioned that the Chelsea galleries are open at night on Thursdays and I've just done a forage to see that the wonderful Brooklyn Museum is open late one or two nights too.

Grand Central Terminal is open late (do the wonderful audio tour - cheap to download to a smart phone if you have one and overcomes the issue that the kiosk that hires the audio gadgets closes at 6pm).

The beautiful public library is open till 8pm on Wednesdays.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
616 posts
702 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive Things to Do After Dark

I would suggest visiting Strawberry Fields and strolling through Central Park. The Dakota building is just across from Central Park at W 72nd and Central Park West.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive Things to Do After Dark

I agree with Springerlady and Anayat. Those parks they list will amaze you with people watching and architecture

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
616 posts
702 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive Things to Do After Dark

Also you can take the free Staten Island ferry from the Whitehall Terminal in Manhattan to St. George Terminal on Staten Island and back. You will pass by the Statue of Liberty and will have wonderful views of the Manhattan skyline. Ferries run every 30 minutes through the day and then hourly in the early morning hours.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive Things to Do After Dark

Thanks for the help, everyone! All great ideas.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive Things to Do After Dark

http://www.aaa.org/

http://www.groupon.com/deals/paint-nite-nyc-1

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/81/Available-Shows

Bryant Park with views of ESB (get some take-away dinner at Bryant Market on 36 x 6th)

Have dinner at Shake Shack in Madison Square Garden

Oh, and the Morgan Library in midtown is free on Friday evenings and well worth a visit!

Edited: 28 August 2014, 14:07
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive Things to Do After Dark

All good suggestions. Note that Shake Shack is in Madison Square Park, not at Madison Square Garden.

You mention that you are afraid that bars will be too expensive. While it's true that there are some high end bars with expensive drinks, there are also plenty of neighborhood bars with more reasonably priced drinks. Prices may be similar to what you have at home, or maybe just a bit more expensive.

Some bars have happy hours that run well into the evening. Here's a list, but it's just one of many you can find online: nymag.com/urban/…bars.htm