We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trendy bars and restaurants for a couple (in the early 30s)

Munich, Germany
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trendy bars and restaurants for a couple (in the early 30s)

Hi NY experts,

We are a couple (Germans, 28 & 31) visiting New York for the first time in September (6 nights, Sunday – Saturday). As we don’t just want to follow our guide book and end up where all the other tourists go to, we are looking for some recommendations for restaurants (for dinner) and bars.

Location-wise: we are staying at the Westin Grand Central – but that should not limit our choices. We are happy to travel around to have a nice evening.

Restaurants: we are foodies and like all different kind of cuisines, so no preference. Regarding the budget, some cheaper recommendation (< 30-40 USD for a main) as wells as higher priced recommendations (< 60-70 USD for a main) would be highly appreciated  For one nights we also would like to have the blow-out top-notch dinner  We prefer a hip, trendy, fancy location (or whatever you call it) over a more traditional (old-fashioned) location.

Bars: we are looking for some (again) chic, hip, trendy, fancy bars or rooftop bars. We don’t want to dance and party all night long, but just some cool places to have a couple of drinks. Again a mixture of high priced and moderate priced bars would be great 

We also like to just stroll around and pop into places which look good. So in case, you don’t have any specific places in mind, what are the areas/neighborhoods where we should just walk around and try to find a nice spot?

Thank you so much guys in advance! Every recommendation is highly appreciated – we just don’t want to come back from NY with the feeling to missed to places-to-be.

Zemb

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trendy bars and restaurants for a couple (in the early 30s)

The new NoMad Bar (entrance on 28th st. Not the bar inside the hotel)

Momofuku Ssam Bar

Booker and Dax - around the corner from Ssam

Press Lounge - ink 48 rooftop

Ma Peche - hitting on all cylinders these days

Terroir bars (great food too)

Khe-yo

Gato

Ivan ramen

Gotham West Market

Ippudo

Maialino

Zz's Clam Bar

All'onda

Grand Banks

Danji

Sakagura near you

Just to name a few ;)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trendy bars and restaurants for a couple (in the early 30s)

Sadly, I don't get out to trendy places to often. But I've got a few places. For food, The Dutch is a great trendy casual place in Soho that I enjoyed. For drinks, Employees Only at 510 Hudson Street is awesome cocktails. Apotheke on Doyers Street in Chinatown is a great vibe. Upstairs at Dead Rabbit 30 Water Street has great cocktails. There's lots more that I haven't had the time or budget to get to like Nomad or Momofuku. A good resource for you is Eater.com. They have a "heatmap" of the trendiest places to eat and drink in the city right now.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,750 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trendy bars and restaurants for a couple (in the early 30s)

For a rooftop bar with an incredible view of the ESB, go to 230 Fifth. That's the name of the bar and also the address. They have an outdoor section and also indoors.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trendy bars and restaurants for a couple (in the early 30s)

Finally ate at Uncle Boon's last week - very good Thai.

Khe-yo is also on my 2014 hot list.

I have other favorites at Gotham West Market - the fried chicken sandwich with celeriac slaw at Genuine. Haven't had the chili ramen at Ivan's everyone is raving about - my visit there when the market first opened wasn't anything special (Totto is better IMO).

Experimental Cocktail is good.

I've been mentioning it a lot only because the setting is cool and the drinks are excellent (overpriced, but typical for this type of place). Gallow Green on West 27th.

Saxon & Parole is very hot - still haven't been.

SuitcaseReady.com

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trendy bars and restaurants for a couple (in the early 30s)

evening, I mean Ivan Ramen LES. Should have been specific. At Gotham West I prefer the Mazemen and Donburi dishes over the Chili Ramen or any ramen, plus I dont feel that many rave about it. But the new LES location gets more interesting. Its tough to compare to Totto since they are so different, but Totto spicy ramen rocks. The fried chicken sandwich is one of my favorite things at GWM.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trendy bars and restaurants for a couple (in the early 30s)

NoMad, ABC Kitchen, ABC Cocina, Gato, Narcissa. Blow out...Per Se or Eleven Madison Park.

Many of these restaurants book up a month in advance, so you may have trouble getting September availability. You can check on OpenTable for most places, but call the restaurant for reservations at Per Se or EMP.

Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trendy bars and restaurants for a couple (in the early 30s)

Ziggy, the chili ramen at Ivan in Gotham Market was on at least 5 "Best things I ate in 2014" lists. Some hipster must have raved about it and others picked up on it.

Still haven't been to the new Totto location (or the downtown Ivan Ramen).

right now, all I have on my mind is dim sum!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trendy bars and restaurants for a couple (in the early 30s)

If Ziggy goes into a place, it is therefore automatically trendy ;)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trendy bars and restaurants for a couple (in the early 30s)

Check out 2nd Ave ....around 50's for a lot of cool places to hang out.

Also, i agree with Aynat...if you want a cool rooftop to hangout without much drama then check out 230 5th on 27 n 5th. ( It is usually a busy on Friday and Saturday night at the door otherwise it is great). They don't have a huge selection of beers but cocktails are great.

One of my favorite Ramen place lately is Hide-Chan on 52nd 2nd. It is right next to Totto Ramen.

http://hidechanramen.com/

Lots of great and cheap food on 53rd Street between 2nd and 3rd.

You can also venture down on 3rd avenue for a lot of cool bars and restaurant. 34th street and down have great dining and drinks option.

Sarges Deli is an awesome classic NYC jewish deli and is open 24/7.

http://www.sargesdeli.com/

Joshua Tree is an interesting bar where they play nice 80's music videos on big screen.

Banc on 30th and 2nd is good as well.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trendy bars and restaurants for a couple (in the early 30s)

The grass is always green ...the side Ziggy is on :P !!!!