We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which SIM & plan for a HTC Desire S for 4 weeks?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Which SIM & plan for a HTC Desire S for 4 weeks?

Hi, can anyone please advise which carrier to buy a SIM for an unlocked HTC Desire S?

Arriving Sunday 6:00pm and wondering can I but it at the airport or better off in Manhattan? I'm staying near Grand Central. Need probably 1G data and local calls, can use skype on a personal notepad. Best company for coverage in NY, and up to NH, VT, Boston, Philly, Gettysburg

Thanks if anyone can help!

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which SIM & plan for a HTC Desire S for 4 weeks?

If you're going to NH/VT you need AT&T. T-Mobile doesn't work well in those areas and Sprint and Verizon won't work with your phone.

You can walk into any AT&T store (there are MANY in the city) and just ask for a GoPhone SIM. Here are their three plans.

att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which SIM & plan for a HTC Desire S for 4 weeks?

Oh, also, you can't get it at the airport - the only SIMs sold at the airport are these horrible tourist ripoffs. You need to go to an AT&T store in the city.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,726 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which SIM & plan for a HTC Desire S for 4 weeks?

I've got an HTC One and I've used T-Mobile and they've been OK. They have pay-by-the-day plans for $2 or $3 which includes unlimited data, text and calls. Though it gets a bit iffy on the last day.

I just go into the nearest T-Mobile store and they set me up within minutes. No contracts, just install and go.

I've used it in Boston and NYC. Good coverage in those cities.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which SIM & plan for a HTC Desire S for 4 weeks?

T-Mobile is fine in Boston and NYC, but has poor coverage in Vermont and New Hampshire. They have a very city focused network.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,726 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which SIM & plan for a HTC Desire S for 4 weeks?

Oh Ok, good to know thanks.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which SIM & plan for a HTC Desire S for 4 weeks?

JHwanderer Thanks very much for your help, I'll go to AT&T the morning after I arrive and grab a GoPhone SIM and the correct plan.

Cheers!

7. Re: Which SIM & plan for a HTC Desire S for 4 weeks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 06:16