We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 night trip report

Kettering
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
5 night trip report

Having returned a couple of days ago and gotten over my jet lag (I think!) I'm hoping I can remember everything to write in my trip report...

A little background first... We are two 30 something's from the UK. This is my 3rd trip and my boyfriends 2nd. We have already seen all the 'major' sights so were looking to explore a little further and become somewhat braver! Help from the forum was invaluable in helping us decide what to do that wasn't always the most touristy but we definitely got lots of tourist fixes in there too :)

We flew from heathrow terminal 5 on Thursday 21st August at 11.20am. The journey was rather stressful due to traffic and gcse results (we are teachers!) but we made it and the kids did good. We flew with BA and I would say DELTA were much better (who we have previously flown with) I didn't think the food was up to much and I'm not a fussy eater but when they presented me with a coronation chicken sandwich I had to decline! The flight was smooth as was immigration, however we waited ages for our baggage and watched the same few bags go round for about 15 minutes.

After a bit of a wait we headed for the Airtrain to Jamaica and got the E train, changing to the F to 57th st and the Viceroy hotel. I have done my hotel review and gave it 5* a lovely stay in a great location, highly recommended. I honestly don't know how people find fault sometimes, why would you want to stay in your hotel room when you have the world at your feet in New York City?! I would also recommend the Airtrain/ subway as a cheap, clean and easy way into the city. Especially if you are from the UK and ever ridden the tube, the subway is much bigger (in terms of trains) so I never felt in the way with my bag like I would at home.

After settling into our room and a quick change we decided to see how long we could fight through our jet lag. As it was so close we headed for 5th ave to look in a few shops. We did the obligatory Abercrombie and Fitch as I do like a good hoodie, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and as I get older I get angrier at the lighting and half naked people but I soldiered on! In my dazed and confused state I decided to buy a hoodie (which I will later return, but that's another story!)

After fighting through the teenagers and half naked shop assistants in the dark we decided we couldn't go on and had to go back to the hotel for well needed sleep, I think by this time we'd been up for 22 hours. I pretty much don't remember falling asleep but the bed was amazing and I felt like I was sleeping in a cloud, a brilliant start out for the next day!

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 night trip report

Can't wait for the rest of this trip report

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 night trip report

Great start ....keep it coming. The lines outside A&F often stretches down the block.

Kettering
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 night trip report

The bf would like a disclaimer that we are EARLY 30's! I got in trouble there...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
441 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 night trip report

Hey wardrobemistress. So glad you had a fab time. Look forward to reading more.

LOL at the disclaimer!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 night trip report

This sounds like it's going to be a ripping TR, can't wait for more.

uk
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 night trip report

Looking forward to the rest of your TR. We are going for a similar amount of time in October!!

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 night trip report

ooh this is gonna be a good one, i can tell :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 night trip report

Looking forward to reading the rest as we are late 20s going in 3 weeks. I'd just said to OH that I might get a new hoodie out there, so now I have an excuse to go to A&F, I just need a Tiffany's excuse now

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 night trip report

And me

I flew BA once to NYC and wasn't all that impressed either! In a few days, I'll fly KLM again for the first time in ages, can't wait ^_^

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 night trip report

Loula a girl does not need an excuse for Tiffany's.... EVER!!! ;-)

Can't wait for the rest of the report- we are 30 and going in 5 weeks. Eeek!!