We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan to Hackettstown, NJ

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Manhattan to Hackettstown, NJ

Hello All

We will be in Manhattan (mid-town) 18-22 December and would like to visit some of my husband's relatives in Hackettstown, NJ one day. They are elderly and don't come in to the city any more so we are going to travel to them. Probably aiming to arrive by 11am and leaving around 3-4pm.

I have checked the trains and they seem to take a long time and perhaps do not run at the weekends which is when we had planned on going so need to look at alternatives.

We could hire a car as both experienced driving in the States although not in inclement weather should it happen to be snowy/icy.

I see there are lots of car services, is one any better than another for this kid of trip? I'd like to narrow it down so I can start asking for quotes.

Any other options?

Thank you

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan to Hackettstown, NJ

You are correct, trains do not run to Hackettstown on weekends.

That's a distance of 50 miles, so a car/taxi service would be very expensive. We're talking $250 roundtrip.

Driving your own car would be preferable.

Otherwise, you're going to have to take the train to Dover and a taxi the remaining distance.

2. Re: Manhattan to Hackettstown, NJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 18:19
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan to Hackettstown, NJ

That Google Map does not apply on the weekends, as the train doesn't go past Dover on the weekends!

4. Re: Manhattan to Hackettstown, NJ

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

5. Re: Manhattan to Hackettstown, NJ

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan to Hackettstown, NJ

That's a pretty long cab ride from Dover and it'll be pricey - although definitely cheaper than renting a car and paying tolls. I suggest you ask them to pick you up from Dover and drop you off - it's not too far from them. Or change your day.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan to Hackettstown, NJ

You could always rent a car at Newark's Penn Station. That should be cheaper, and the train to Newark runs every 5-10 minutes from New York's Penn Station. You wouldn't pay the tolls, you wouldn't sit in NYC traffic, and you could get to Newark in a half hour and the rest of the way in another 45 minutes. It is over 50 miles outside a major city that you are going, so you might as well take a fast New Jersey Transit commuter train (DO NOT take an Amtrak train) the hardest 15 miles (and pay only $4.50 per person each way). Even a taxi to from Newark to Hackettstown will save you $50 compared to getting one in Manhattan.

Map of rail system in New Jersey: https:/…Rail_System_Map.pdf

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan to Hackettstown, NJ

It's hard to tell on that map, but almost all the trains that go to Hackettstown, NJ (or Dover, or Morristown) start in Hoboken, New Jersey, not in New York City, NY, so it requires even more "NYC" skills to get there (by PATH train from near Macys, or by knowing to change at Secaucus Junction, NJ.).

The hardest part is that you are going from one state to another, so taxis, trains, buses are more limited from NYC.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan to Hackettstown, NJ

Thanks all

North of DC - I like the rent a car from Newark rather than Manhattan idea, will check that out thanks

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhattan to Hackettstown, NJ

Look at New Jersey Transit's web page. You will see that there are trains all the time from Penn Station to Newark, NJ's Penn Station (ignore "Newark Broad St" station, it's not near Newark Penn Station, and NO trains from NYC go there.

www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv…