We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Lunch 2014 in NYC

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Lunch 2014 in NYC

Ive read reviews that suggest these restaurants for christmas lunch 2014. There will be 2 adults and 3 kids 14, 12 and 6, can anyone suggest which restaurant might suit us better? We are staying at homewood suites midtown. We need restaurant to be child friendly and child menu friendly, please.

Boathouse Restaurant

Rock Centre Cafe

Sea Grill

Bryant Park Grill

Tavern on the Green (central park)

Uncle jacks steakhouse

Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Lunch 2014 in NYC

What do you mean by "child menu friendly"? (what that makes me think of is chicken fingers, or hot dogs, or macaroni and cheese...)

Also be aware that there is no tradition in the US of a "Christmas lunch." Even if you are eating it in midday, you might find more hits in an internet search if you look for what restaurants have to offer for "Christmas dinner."

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Lunch 2014 in NYC

Unlike in Australia, where Christmas lunch is a big thing, it's not in the US and you may have trouble if you are looking for a traditional Christmas lunch at lunch time.

Also unlike in Australia, where bookings for Christmas open a few months in advance, they don't usually in NYC. Most places only take reservations 30 days in advance and will display their Christmas menus a week or so before the 30 days in advance. I'd be waiting to see what the menus are before making your decision if a traditional lunch is important to you.

If you're not fussed on the food and only care about which place is going to be more accepting of your kids then I'd chose the Rock Centre Cafe.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Lunch 2014 in NYC

From your list, I'd nix Tavern on the Green; it reopened a few months ago abs the reviews have been dreadful. I'd also nix Uncle Jack's steakhouse, which is meh in my opinion.

To your list I'd add the River Cafe. These 5 restaurants will all be quite touristy, but will be festive with iconic NYC views/surroundings.

I believe that Rock Center Cafe and the Sea Grill may already be taking reservations, or are about to start accepting them anyway. The others, like the vast majority of NYC restaurants, will only take reservations a month in advance, even for Christmas.

By the end of November a link will appear on OpenTable that lists the restaurants that will be serving on Christmas Day. You can have a look at the menus and prices and choose something that suits you.

As mentioned, we eat Christmas dinner here rather than lunch, but most restaurants serving that day will be open for both lunch and dinner.

Restaurants tend to be extra kid-friendly on holidays, so this should not be an issue. For example, I would never bring small children to a regular dinner service at Daniel, but we bring them to Thanksgiving lunch there every year.

Enjoy! :)

4. Re: Christmas Lunch 2014 in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 05:16