We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long to walk from times square to grand central

Romford Essex
Level Contributor
211 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
how long to walk from times square to grand central

I realise I can get on metro line 7 , but as hoho bus does not go there , so roughly how long to walk

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how long to walk from times square to grand central

10-15 minutes walk steady away

USA
Level Contributor
10,891 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how long to walk from times square to grand central

Use google maps and the walking option.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how long to walk from times square to grand central

There is a direct shuttle (subway) between Grand Central Station and Times Square. Quick and easy and I think about a minute or so. I learned about it on this forum (Thanks!) and looked like a genius to my friends when we were meeting up for a theater outing. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how long to walk from times square to grand central

The S shuttle from TS to GCT is quick. Saves walking thought it sometimes takes just as long to get into the subway stations and find the platforms.

Romford Essex
Level Contributor
211 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how long to walk from times square to grand central

excuse ignorance but as this is a last minute stop -off have not had time to investigate. what is a shuttle, a bus ,a metro, what ticket do I need.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how long to walk from times square to grand central

It's a subway train, you use the same Metrocard as for all your other bus/subway rides. But it is really fast, and the platforms seem to be very shallow - no huge flights of stairs. The conductors seem to wait for people running for them, since they just go back and forth between TS and GC, they don't have to worry about keeping a schedule for a longer route.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how long to walk from times square to grand central

Look for the S line at both GCT and Times Square.

GCT has rural trains leaving it so you need to find the SUBWAY STATION. It's down the ramps.

Times Square is a particularly large subway station, so just keep looking for the 'S' signs and keep walking.

It's so quick once you're on the train.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how long to walk from times square to grand central

Another question. Are you planning to use the HoHo bus as a means of getting around the city? Most recommend doing a HoHo bus as a way of getting your bearings and seeing where things are, not as a means of transport.

For the latter use the subway and the public buses (both are great). Are you planning to use the subway and buses? If so, we'll give you information on which type of ticket to buy. It depends on how long you're there, where you're staying, what you're planning to do and how many of you are there (one type of ticket can be shared - up to 4 people but the weekly card - $31 - isn't shareable).

EDIT - see you've already asked on another thread...great stuff.

Google maps 'get directions' tool is wonderful for working out routes for the day. Includes options for cars, public transport and walking. Saves coming back to the Forum each time and waiting for one of us to respond.

Have a wonderful time.

Edited: 01 September 2014, 00:07
Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how long to walk from times square to grand central

The walk to GCT can take much longer if you take a slight detour and explore the International Center of Photography or you explore Bryant Park or go into the Public Library on the way. I wouldn't rush.

A Guide Named Sue

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how long to walk from times square to grand central

You can also take the #7 Flushing Line from Times Square to Grand Central. Its frequency is nearly the same as the Shuttle.