We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Trip with a Teenager

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
New York Trip with a Teenager

We're looking to travel to New York before Christmas (probably from 16th to 23rd) and there'll be myself, my partner and my 15 year old daughter. We're pretty sure what we want to see and do while we're there during the day but looking for tips for the best places to stay and what to do in an evening, we'd rather be closer to evening entertainment than being too concerned with being closer to any attractions during the day and have a budget of around $450 a night but that has to cover all 3 of us, having looked at some accomodation options we either need a 1 bedroom suite or 2 seperate double rooms, we don't want to be in a room all together with 2 double beds. We plan to see a show one evening but that still leaves a few evenings free and wondered if anyone has any suggestions that will be suitable for a teenager.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Trip with a Teenager

We re staying in the Beacon Hotel on the UWS with 2 teens...the rooms are large, suite sized with 2 double beds plus a separate living area and kitchen. This gives everyone some room to breathe!

London, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Trip with a Teenager

We've just yesterday returned from a 9 day stay at the Best Western Plus Hospitality House. Like The Beacon it is an apartment hotel so the rooms are huge. For your dates there is a 1-bed apartment for $456 per night so it would depend on whether you are OK with a sofa bed. We had a 2-bed apartment but that is not coming up for those dates so may be sold out but might be worth a ring. The rate I quoted is an AAA rate which you can get if you are a member of the AA in the UK. If you're not, it's worth joining for £30-40. The usual advice on here is to somewhere you are happy with that is cancelable and carry on looking.

We found Midtown East great as a location. 10-15 mins walk from the madness that is Times Square, 10 mins walk from Grand Central Terminal and 10 mins walk from the Rockefeller Centre where the Christmas Tree and ice skating will be. Everything else was easily reached by subway 2 blocks away.

There are lots of hotel experts on here, particularly NYWhiz, so I'm sure you'll get some great help.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Trip with a Teenager

Thank you so much for your reply and suggestions it's been really helpful!

Worcester, UK
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Trip with a Teenager

Hi there, we're going end October with a 14 & 12 year old. We're staying at Hotel Giraffe and a large part of its appeal is location, quality, inclusive breakfast, all day teas, coffees and cookies and inclusive cheese and wine 5-8pm so it sounds fab. As for evenings, we've booked Wicked for our last night and nothing for the other 3 nights as I'm assuming we'll be absolutely dead from all the walking around and will just chill locally or in the hotel.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Trip with a Teenager

I suggest doing the National Comedy Theater which does clean improv comedy http://www.manhattancomedy.com/

reviews tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60763-d56…

and the price is excellent!

I'd also suggest the New Victory Theater which is a kids & family theater, their year end shows are great, I've been to several of them, they're always circus acts. This year it's Cirque Ziva. The balconey seats are fine and really cheap too

www.newvictory.org/Show-Detail.aspx…

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,833 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Trip with a Teenager

Hotel Giraffe is fabulous!! Very low key elegance, friendly, helpful staff.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Trip with a Teenager

Take a look at the Blakely. Great location near Central Park South and also convenient to the Theater District and Times Square. They have a 1 br suite with king bed and a twin day bed in the separate living room. Also a fridge & microwave. That's $420 + tax, with free cancellation.

Or a 1 bedroom suite at the Kimberly (near Grand Central) is $388 with free cancellation. I'm seeing that rate on Expedia.

Caledon, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York Trip with a Teenager

I second the Blakely. My sister and her family stayed there in May,and said it was great.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York Trip with a Teenager

I haven't posted about this yet but the Metropolitan Museum of Art has started encouraging kids and teens to come to many of their evening performances. Programs are fabulous. Unfortunately I can no longer post useful links on the forum so I would explore the museum's website for evening programs when you are here.

A Guide Named Sue

10. Re: New York Trip with a Teenager

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2015, 05:16