We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer between LaGuardia and JFK

Rockville, Maryland
10 posts
Save Topic
transfer between LaGuardia and JFK

Any suggestions on the best way to get from LaGuardia (arriving at 930pm on a Wednesday) to meet a friend who comes into JFK?

Thanks!

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer between LaGuardia and JFK

It would be very hard to coordinate; but LGA is on the way into the city from JFK. I am assuming that Manhattan is where you both are headed. You could get a car service to make both stops..it'll be expensive, and there is the issue of delays and what not.

The other direction..going from LGA to JFK if you are headed to the city would be very counterproductive. If it were me I would just plan to meet up in the city.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer between LaGuardia and JFK

You can easily take a taxi (the 2 airports are about 20 mins. apart) but it will cost about $30 which is what it would cost you to get into Manhattan from LGA. There's also a NY Airport Express bus that goes b/w the 2 airports for $13/person, but you may wait a while.

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/connfram.HTM

I do agree with cbcito though. JFK is in the wrong direction if you're both heading into the city. It would make more sense for your friend to get a taxi at JFK and pick YOU up at LGA on the way into Manhattan if you're trying to share a cab. But the $45 flat fare from JFK to Manhattan may not be honored if the driver's asked to make a stop at LGA first. So tell us more of the story. What are you trying to accomplish?

Rockville, Maryland
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer between LaGuardia and JFK

Thank you for your responses - I should have added more information. I am flying into JFK; my friend is flying into LGA and then we are going to a friend's house in Mineola - not into Manhattan. I already researched the shuttle between the two airports but the last bus is at 8pm. I guess a taxi is the only option unless anyone else knows of an alternative.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transfer between LaGuardia and JFK

How are you getting to Mineola and how much of a difference is there between the arrival times of your 2 flights? If you plan on taking the Long Island Railroad from Jamaica, you should meet there. Jamaica is inbetween the 2 airports. Your friend can take a taxi to Jamaica station for a lot less than it will cost to get to JFK. You can either take the AirTrain from JFK or you could also take a taxi. Here's the LIRR schedule for Mineola

http://www.mta.info/lirr/html/ttn/mineola.htm

That said, I don't know how nice it would be to have to wait at the Jamaica station. Haven't been there in long time.

If you still want to get from LGA to JFK, here's a shuttle service that might do it for less than a taxi

http://www.etsairshuttle.com/airport.htm

Your friend could also take a bus to the Jamaica station, but I wouldn't do that at night without knowing where you're going.

Rockville, Maryland
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transfer between LaGuardia and JFK

Thanks nycwhiz - I don't arrive until midnight so there will be no hanging out at the LIRR for us. We will take a taxi to Mineola from JFK. My friend is not going to wait three hours at some train station - she would much rather just wait for me at JFK with a good book. I will call ets for their schedule and rates. Thanks.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,284 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transfer between LaGuardia and JFK

If you wanted to do it the cheapo way,you could take the Q33 from LGA to Roosevelt and get the E train to Kew Gardens and then take the Q10 bus to Kennedy but it would take about 1 1/2 hours. But it would only cost $2!

sedona
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: transfer between LaGuardia and JFK

how can I get to JFK from LGon shuttle?

dallas
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transfer between LaGuardia and JFK

BUMP!....I've got to do a transfer in 2 weeks from LGA to JFK and same coming back JFK to LGA

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,805 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transfer between LaGuardia and JFK

The fastest way to get between airports is a cab. The least expensive is a shuttle bus. What time are you coming in and how much time do you have between flights. That may determine which method you use.

dallas
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transfer between LaGuardia and JFK

Sunday 12:15 arrive LGA and depart JFK 5:45 for International flight.

Return: JFK Friday 1:40 Int flight so have to deal with customs and LGA 7:30 domestic flight.