We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best car service from newark to midtown?

Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
best car service from newark to midtown?

Just need a few recommendations-

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best car service from newark to midtown?

cheapest and most widely used

carmellimo.com

telavivlimo.com

A bit nicer and more expensive

limores.net

Southeast Texas
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best car service from newark to midtown?

We have used Carmel several times and never have had any problems.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best car service from newark to midtown?

We've not used Carmel since April when my SO waited for more than 30 mintues on a Sunday afternoon -- *after* picking up his bags at the luggage carousel -- for the driver to make his appearance; he could have been in midtown via a taxi from the cabstand at the EWR terminal in that amount of time. Plus, the car was not well-kempt & reeked of cigarette smoke.

So, until one of us feels we "have to" impress, e.g., a client (in which case we'll use Town Car Executive Car & Limo -- 212 222-444 -- a much more positive, subsequent experience), we're simply using taxis.

Mentioned in this post
Germantown, Tn
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best car service from newark to midtown?

What is the approximate cab fare from Newark to midtown and also from midtown back to Newark. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best car service from newark to midtown?

it depends, memphismoe, on exactly where you're going. Here's a chart of the official taxi fares from EWR to various destinations; note that these do not include tolls (figure about $7.50), the tip, or the rush hour surcharge mentioned at the bottom of the page.

www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrtaxizones.htm

Other transportation options are listed here:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/egtsmain.HTM

Going from Manhattan to EWR is not by zones; you'll pay what's on a NYC taxi's meter, plus the toll (no $6 Lincoln or Holland Tunnel toll to pay leaving town) + $15 surcharge (and tip). So, because that can get quite pricey, especially during rush hour since the meter keeps running while you're stuck in traffic, you might very well wish to consider a car/limo service -- or one of the shuttle services -- to get to EWR

nyc.gov/html/…taxicab_rate.shtml

I've left from lower Manhattan (close to the Holland Tunnel) for my most recent flights out of EWR, so I can't give you a truly accurate estimate of what it would cost to get there from midtown.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Holland
Holland
Ottawa County, MI
The Holland Hotel
The Holland Hotel
693 Reviews
Jersey City, NJ
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
746 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best car service from newark to midtown?

Last month I flew into Newark with destination midtown.

I chose to take a taxi because I was afraid I would have trouble finding a hired car, especially with having to drag luggage around in an unfamiliar place.

Unfortunately for all, the driver, and his passengers!, the time the taximaster dispatched the taxi was one minute until the surcharge would have gone into effect.

We got into the taxi, the driver went a few feet, looked at the dispatch ticket, and had a fit. He stopped the car and went back to plead his case to the taximaster, to no avail. I was totally bewildered all this while - could not understand him very well, and somehow had not known/forgot? about the surcharge.

The driver got back into the car, pealed off, and I had the wildest ride of my life, which includes a hair-raising race down a mountain in the Phillipines, a drive in Mexico City where the driver turned off his lights to run red lights, and little two-lane roads in the mountains where the truck in front of you blinks his tailllights and that's your signal you can pass on hairpin curves. :,)

This driver ranted and raved the whole time. I could understand few words but the emotion was clear!

So - try to avoid this timing!

We took a lot of taxis during our stay and the rest of the drivers were "normal."

The toll charge was $8.00.

I hired a car for the return trip and this worked out very well. There were no taxis around our hotel at the time we left (midmorning), so I was especially glad I went that route, and strongly recommend you do the same.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
England
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best car service from newark to midtown?

LOL Sofibella - it sounds like you had the same taxi driver as me who tried to drive off with me still trying to alight from the taxi as he said I was too slow. He was ranting and raving at me like a lunatic!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best car service from newark to midtown?

Yikes, what a "welcome" to New York! I'm sorry that was the intro to your visit :-(

Mentioned in this post
Germantown, Tn
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best car service from newark to midtown?

Cockle Cove, sounds like I made a BIG mistake booking my return flight to Memphis out of Newark on Sunday afternoon. I have always flown in & out of LGA but to get the late afternoon flight back using FF Miles I had to do Newark. Luckily I am flying into LGA on Wed at noon. I hate surprises when I travel and most of my BAD surprises have been with ground transportation. I guess my best bet is a car service or shuttle service if available to Newark. Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
LaGuardia Airport
LaGuardia Airport
East Elmhurst, NY
10. Re: best car service from newark to midtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 04:19