We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel and flight packages

Kent
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Hotel and flight packages

I may be coming back to New York City next year (aflter my November trip) with my parents for 4 nights.

Am I better off booking flights and accommodation separately or together? If I like the Beacon in November, I would be happy to stay there again.

My parents are a bit fussy re. flight carriers and will only fly American or BA. (They had a bad experience with Virgin last year, and I've heard poor things about Delta and Continental.)

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel and flight packages

Personally I'm not a fan of Virgin either after a bad experience and bad customer service. Continental I've always been ok with tho.

It depends on what time of year you are coming - if you can get yourself a good flight deal then it works out cheaper than booking it together. I always book mine separate cause I like the flexibility of choosing my own hotel and not the ones recommended by the agent and also because I prefer dealing with hotels direct.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel and flight packages

Better off in what way? Price, choice of accommodation, flight carrier, dates?

Travelling in November you will have a fair chance at getting an airfare bargain nearer the date - BA and American routinely offer deals for Nov to before Xmas and then again Jan (post New Year) into March.

Orgainsing it yourself will most likely be cheaper and give you greater options.

Kent
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel and flight packages

I was wondering if you make a saving by buying a package deal.

We are probably looking at coming between next April or May.

I think my parents are quite shocked about paying $225 a night for a medium star hotel, but I've explained that hotels are very expensive unless you're willing to share a bathroom or stay at a hostel.

There will be 3 of us, and although we could all squeeze into a room with 2 doubles, I would prefer my own room. This will obviously increase the cost as this will mean booking 2 king / double rooms.

What sites are there other than Expedia where I could compare flight and hotel packages?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel and flight packages

These are the 2 mega-search engines for travel-related needs I use, heather:

http://www.sidestep.com

http://www.kayak.com

These truly are search engines -- not reservation agents/travel consolidators -- which trawl through the databases of travel consolidators such as Orbitz (Expedia doesn't seem to be a participant), venere, octupus AND the suppliers (e.g., hotels, airlines) themselves. The search results come up with hot links for easy -- and direct -- booking you do yourself.

Definitely worth a look imo

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel and flight packages

Also try www.travelsupermarket.co.uk

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel and flight packages

With regard to your accomodation and privacy it would also be worth looking at an apartment/apartment hotel. The per night price is often equal to a decent hotel room - or competative allowing for the extra facilities and space.

A few places to start looking (that get good feedback on TA) would be

www.affinia.com

for numerous properties around Manahatten.

The Radio City Apartments

http://www.radiocityapts.com/

and the Best Western Hospitality House

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do…

Plus www.apartments2book.com offer some of the above, occasionally at a cheaper rate that the property's website.

It would be worth pointing out that an apartment doesn't mean someone is cooking/cleaning or whatever all the time! The apartment hotel choices usually have daily maid service and a front desk like a hotel. The kitchen is a nice bonus for tea in the morning, coffee or a chilled glass of wine ih the evening :o)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel and flight packages

Heather - for vacation packages - I use:

http://www.aavacations.com/ - it is American Airlines vacation packages. They allow UK residents to book on this website even though it is a US company.

I've also looked at BA's packages before on their website, but always seem to get lower prices in AA.

Wendi

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,059 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel and flight packages

Glad I found this posting! first time on the New York City forum,

We are thinking of visiting at the end of November and deciding which was the best way to book, either a package or flight/hotel lots of good info on this post for me to look up.

Its been almost 10 years since I visited the US and I was really shocked at the cost of a 3*/4* hotel in NYC (hence package v indep) whats the thoughts (if you can still do this) on people renting out rooms to tourists in their homes, read about this a long time ago and thought it sounded good. (or maybe not!).

Will be trawling through the pages to sort out an agenda of where to go eat/drink/visit, but need to sort out the accommodation first.

Looking at flying with Eos airlines (spash out!) anybody used them for flights?

Thanks everyone

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel and flight packages

Scotland Scout

I'd suggest posting this as a new thread as I'm sure there are people within the forum with experience of renting a room in someone's home but they may not see your query in this post.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel and flight packages

scotlandscout, there's an agency

citylightsnewyork.com

that has "hosted" apartments which basically means you stay with someone in their apt. You get your own bedroom and sometimes your own bathroom. Have only heard a very positive report about one specific apt. owned by an Englishwoman in Murray Hill (east 30s). But that's a good option if you're looking for a cheaper way for accomodation.

newyork.craigslist.com

is another place where you can find accomodation in someone's apt., but I think it's a bit more risky as you don't know about the people, the location, etc. At least through a reputable agency, the apts. and owners are vetted.

Whatever you do, don't deal with a firm named Woogo or yourstay or urbanstay. They're very disreputable and have been renting illegal apts.

The Larchmont hotel is another option. It's well located in Greenwich Village but all rooms share a bathroom. Since sharing bathrooms is not an Amercian "thing" the prices are pretty affordable.

There are also lots