We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Cheesecake

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Topic
Best Cheesecake

I was searching in the archives and didn't really get a clear idea of where we should go to for the best cheesecake. I see a lot of people like Junior's and a lot of people like Carnegie Deli. What is the difference between the two? Is one of them more expensive, longer lines, or harder to get to? I don't mind going out of my way to find the best. I don't care for the Italian ricotta cheesecake (my Italian mother in law doesn't read this). I'd like to see which place gets the best votes. Thanks everyone!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Cheesecake

my vote goes to Juniors in Grand Central Station, never tasted anything like it!!!

www.juniorscheesecake.com/store/index.asp

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Cheesecake

Thanks, m1niki. Have you ever had one delivered to you? I wonder if the quality stands up to the shipping.

Has anyone ever tried the sugar free cheesecake?

Anyone else have a favorite??

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Cheesecake

I'm afraid I've never had one delivered, living in Scotland, I only had the pleasure of experiencing the real thing in NY, however if they did deliver this far, believe me, I would be their best customer!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Cheesecake

I love Junior's! FYI, it has a sponge-cake crust, which catches many by surprise. Personally, I really enjoy that.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Cheesecake

that sounds interesting. I've only had a graham cracker type crust.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Cheesecake

I know there must be other places to get good cheesecake other than Junior's and Carnegie's. Anyone have suggestions?

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Cheesecake

having heard so much about juniors i gave it a go in grand central station whilst waiting for a friend- bought the strawberry one.. i thought it was pretty down awful :o/ and i paid $6 for the thing to be thrown in the bin lol.. i thought the texture was pretty heavy and it had a bad aftertaste.. i was dissapointed after hearing what i did about juniors! ahhhhh well maybe somewhere else will have a decent cheesecake

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Cheesecake

Re: the "bad aftertaste" - cheesecake is made out of cheese, which often has the "aftertaste" of, guess what, cheese. Cheese is also very dense.

Real cheesecake is supposed to be tangy and have a "bite". If you're the type of person who thinks that frozen yogurt has a bad aftertaste (since it is made out of, you guessed it, yogurt), then you probably won't like real cheesecake.

If you like fluffier cheesecake, try Italian cheesecake instead of Jewish cheesecake. The best is either D'Auito's or Venierio's.

http://www.newyorknewyorkcheesecake.com/

Most of today's mass-marketed cheesecake (a la Cheesecake Factory) takes the cheese out of cheesecake, so it is just made out of sweet cream. This is what most people are used to.

OTOH, If the "bad aftertaste" at Junior's in GCT is more of a chemical taste, that's because your'e in the food court of Grand Central, and sometimes I think everything there tastes like industrial cleaning products. ;o)

Here is a whole previous thread on this very topic.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k439275-… Best_cheesecake_in_NY-New_York_City_New_York.html

Say "cheese!"

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Cheesecake

I bow to Juniors for flavored cheesecake. For plain old yummy cheesecake, how could S&S cheesecake not be there. It must be a misprint. I know PDX probably won't be going there for it, but believe me, yum!!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Cheesecake

Google S&S cheesecake, not S+S. Cheers.