We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear to the theater?

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
253 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear to the theater?

I just realized I have no idea how one should dress for Broadway!!?? Dressy casual (such as dress pants)? I didn't plan to bring any really dressy clothes with me, but maybe I should.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear to the theater?

Yes, "dressy casual" is perfect.

Just out of curiosity, what are you seeing?

This is an extremely popular question here. If you have an hour to kill, check out the debates in these posts, sub posts, and sub-sub-posts.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k805391-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k437155-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k293670-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k219395-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k244170-…

More importantly, when attending the theatre, show up on time, turn off cell phones, don't talk during the show, don't kick the seat of the person in front of you, and don't unwrap noisy wrappers.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear to the theater?

QB offers some good advice. No, absolutely NO dress code for NYC theater.

Also, the admonishment of not kicking the seat in front of you, good advice. I had to endure 2h30min of this exact agony a couple of weeks ago at a performance of SPAMALOT.

Long story, but I had to contact an usher as this cretin would not stop kicking my seat.

Don't be afraid to speak up, you're paying bib bucks and want to have a good time.

have fun, you'll be dressed just fine.

Poppa

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear to the theater?

Quite simply---If you sit next to me, I don't care what you wear. All I ask is that you're quiet and clean.

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
253 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear to the theater?

Thanks for the advice! I definitely won't kick any seats!

We are trying to pick two out of Jersey Boys, MamaMia, Wicked, Chorus Line and the Drowsy Chaperone.

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
197 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear to the theater?

You must see Wicked (plus more leg room...nice). Can't recommend out of the others as I haven't seen.

I was there for the first time last week and pretty much everyone was dressy casual--I wore nice black pants with a cute top and a light black sweater over it and didn't feel underdressed or overdressed (i did see someone in a fancy cocktail dress though).

6. Re: What to wear to the theater?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 00:20