We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What I’m doing different this time

Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
What I’m doing different this time

Hope this will help someone.

I will be in NYC for 3 days with my two daughters for the upcoming Veterans Day weekend. I was just there in June with the family, my sister and brother-in-law. We had a great time BUT two things I am doing different this time when planning my itinerary.

Have a plan B for rainy day weather. We didn’t and it caused some unnecessary stress and anxiety as we (7 of us) had to decide what to do instead of Central Park. This included figuring out the subway, restaurants, etc.

Decide on restaurants ahead of time. Our party of seven included 1 with special dietary needs, one picky eater (nothing foreign) and a penny pincher. It’s not fun going from restaurant to restaurant, looking for a posted menu, studying the map and flipping thru guide books on a busy sidewalk when you’re tired and hungry. There’s only three of us this trip, but both of my daughters are picky eaters. Solution: This time I studied The Menu Pages web site, restaurant websites and on-line reviews. My daughters have seen and approved the menus and I’ve even made reservations at two places and checked to see that the others are still open. This was a little time intensive but now that I don’t have to worry about where to eat, I can use that energy worrying about navigating the subway. :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What I’m doing different this time

Sounds like a great plan. I'll just warn you that sometimes, what's posted on menupages (or even on the restaurant's own website) may be WRONG or out of date. Perhaps you'd like to share your list of restaurants?

Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What I’m doing different this time

Sure. I'm not worried if some of the menu items have changed. The places I picked had a wide enough selection that they could find something. In no particular order, the restaurnats I chose are:

Patsy's Pizzeria (23rd)

Murray's Bagels (any bagel shop is okay)

Rachel's -reservations

Serendipity 3 (for the girls) - reservations

StarDust Diner - Sunday night

Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What I’m doing different this time

Rachel's sounds like a great restaurant from reviews I've read and a look at Menupages. Do you happen to know how far in advance they take reservations? We would like to eat there in late December. Thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What I’m doing different this time

I called 6 weeks ago. I'm a little nervous because they didn't ask for my credit card # to hold it. But they were very pleasant and accommodating on the phone. Here's hoping.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What I’m doing different this time

Good ideas!

NOTE: The Patsy's on 23rd Street is NOT the super-famous original, BTW. (The original, oven-brick Patsy's is on 118th Street and 1st Avenue.)

Having said that, it is decent, casual and very affordable. No rezzies necessary, but there may be a short wait. Are you going there for the pizza? It's good, but not a religious experience.

;o)

Try the fried mixed veggies appetizer. Crunchy! Not greeezy and yucky as one would expect. The family-style salads are also good.

Next door is an irresistable, new Asian puff-pastry and cappucino place called Choux Choux (or something like that) that opened this summer. OK, so I guess that Japanese cream puffs are the new thing and will be taking NYC by storm, so get in on the trend now!

Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What I’m doing different this time

Wow! Thanks for the great tips. I'll def try the cream puffs, fried veggies and salad. Yes, we'll probably get the pizza at Patsy's. A little disappointed it's not the 'famous' one but it is close to where we're staying and we'll be tired and hungry Friday night when we get in so I'm sure it will be wonderful. Can't remember if they serve cocktails or wine but that will make it even better. :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What I’m doing different this time

Well you've taught me about one (Rachel's looks great) but I wonder about Patsy's on 23 st. If you're going to be in that neighborhood, I think there are better options. Certainly better pizza elsewhere. Tell us about that choice.

Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What I’m doing different this time

I picked Patsy's because we did want to have some NY pizza, it got pretty good reviews (realize there is a huge debate about the best NY pizza :-) and because it is so close to where we are staying, Leo House at 332 W. 23rd st. w/ Patsy's at 318 W. 23rd. Our flight doesn't arrive until 4:30 so figure we'll be tired and not want to walk far for dinner that night. Also, it didn't sound as cramped and small/rowdy as some places. I am open to suggestions, though, if there is a place near by w/ a somewhat relaxed atmosphere that serves good pizza, salads etc. Thanks

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What I’m doing different this time

I've eaten at Rachel's a couple of times, the food is very good. I would eat there more, but it's sort of out of the way for me.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What I’m doing different this time

There's a Famous Ray's Original right nearby that looks to be a good one.

menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp…

There's also a Pizza 33 nearby that's good.

nymag.com/listings/…index.html

Just a heads up, if you like lobster, you're a block away from El Quijote, a Spanish restaurant that serves very good value lobster.

menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp…