We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wicked or Chorus Line??

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Wicked or Chorus Line??

I am coming to New York for my birthday in Jan and would like to go to the theatre on my actual birthday. I have narrowed down the choices to Wicked or A Chorus Line and wonder whether anyone has any advice on which one is better? (I appreciate that this is all down to personal choice!)

I have actually seen A Chorus Line years ago when I was little but thought I might appreciate it more now I am older. I love Wizard of Oz and therefore thought Wicked was a good choice.

Any suggestion/opinions would be great!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
140 Reviews
from US$175.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,013 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,127 Reviews
from US$57.00*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,395 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Level Contributor
429 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wicked or Chorus Line??

I was in NYC in October and saw A Chorus Line . I can definately recommend it. I have not seen Wicked but heard it was excellent. A Chorus Line had no sets, props, and only one costume change, but it was a classic, and the players were great. If you are more into the scenery, and costumes, than I would recommend Wicked, but if you want to see a classic Broadway show...A Chorus Line is for you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,457 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wicked or Chorus Line??

They are very different. I haven't seen this version of A Chorus Line yet, but saw the original. There is basically no set and it's all about the individual performers.

Wicked is a BIG show with complicated awesome sets and lots of pyrotechnics. It is not as "light" a story as the Wizard of Oz. The plot basically turns everything you think you know inside out.

I will just mention that Jersey Boys is THE hot ticket (may not be available for Jan.) and everyone seems to love the Drowsy Chaperone, just as some other options. ;)

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wicked or Chorus Line??

Hi Vallonio

Thanks for this. I am really not sure which one is best to book. I will be with my boyfriend who has never been to the theatre so not sure whether A Chorus Line will be enough to keep him interested. Though on the other hand Wicked has now opened in London......

Too difficult to choose!!

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wicked or Chorus Line??

Thanks for the suggestions nywhiz....am off to check out them out!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wicked or Chorus Line??

A Chorus Line is a brilliant show, character- and dance-driven, with wonderful, memorable music.

Wicked is a spectacle.

Have you considered Company?

Altamonte Springs...
Level Contributor
345 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wicked or Chorus Line??

I saw the original "Chorus Line" twice and the show itself is fantastic--can't speak for this version, but if it's well cast it should be excellent. Most reviews have been very good.

LIke "The Lion King", I was disappointed by "Wicked," but not as much. I can't fault the performances (except one--Derrick Williams as Fiyero, who spoke his lines so quickly you couldn't understand half of what he said), can't fault the music, but it just kind of plunked along. Given the fact that a couple of the songs bring me to tears just from the cast album, I expected a certain amount of emotional investment, but it just wasn't there.

Level Contributor
1,621 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wicked or Chorus Line??

Since you mentioned that you love the "Wizard of Oz" and you have already seen "A Chorus Line", I would say definitely go to "Wicked". Although both are good choices, "Wicked" would hold your interest with the elaborate costumes and sets, storyline, and sharp wit.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wicked or Chorus Line??

I'm putting in my two cents' worth for A Chorus Line. It's a quintessentially NY show, telling the story of singers/dancers/actors trying to break into Broadway. As you may remember from before, the songs are unforgettable, and I agree with the previous poster who was unimpressed by Wicked. ACL can not be matched for emotional involvement! My husband, daughter and I will be in our seats one week from Thursday, enjoying it on Thanksgiving night!! We can't wait! (And I'll be doing my best not to sing along!)

Rockaway, NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wicked or Chorus Line??

My vote is for Wicked, although I doubt you'll be disapointed by either. My concern for you is getting tickets. You need to move quickly! Broadway tickets, especially for two shows that are still very hot can be hard to come by on "short" notice.

10. Re: Wicked or Chorus Line??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 14:18