We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Limits finally raised.

St Helens England
Level Contributor
137 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free Limits finally raised.

Just read that the EU have agreed to up the limit of duty free goods brought into europe from outside from £145 to £290 (around $560). Its not the £1000 that was requested but its a start.

I know most people ignore these limits anyway but i always feel a little unsettled when i bring more than £145 worth of goods back with me.

Mind you, I have yet to see a customs officer on duty the last couple of times that i have come back to England from America.!!!

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free Limits finally raised.

That is good news. Even though there might not be a person on duty in the red channel, you are supposed to go through this channel and use the phone to inform them...strangely I've NEVER seen anyone do this!

Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free Limits finally raised.

I dont know anyone who pays attention to these limits. Most people I know just remove the tags and get rid of the reciepts.

And anyway, even in the airport I have never seen anyone volunteer they have over £145 worth of goods.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free Limits finally raised.

I've never paid attention to these anyway. There's never anyone in either the red or green channels and I just pull all the tags off things I bought. Let them try and prove I didn't already own them.

Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free Limits finally raised.

^Exactly, they need to prove you bought them there which would be too hard.

I remember Colleen McGloughlin (Wayne Rooneys fiance) a couple of years back went to New York and speant £13,000. (Ridiculous!!) And she was stopped at customs and she didnt declare it. I think she had to pay another £3000 or something. Oops!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,369 posts
1,663 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free Limits finally raised.

Strangely if you arrive to the UK from Dubai. Your chances of getting stopped increase dramatically!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free Limits finally raised.

my sister was stopped returning from new york... her crime... she had an empty laptop case she had purchased in duty free on the way from england..... customs wanted to know if anything was in the case like a laptop.... once they seen she had empty case they let her on her way without even checking her suitcase....phew... she said.... its always a bit scary when you walk past the lovely customs people as £145 was nothing when all the nyc bargains are calling.... the best that can happen is the airline loses your suitcase and sends it by courier later that day........ then you can walk past customs and even say hello.....

7. Re: Duty Free Limits finally raised.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 08:16