We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Segway in NYC

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
946 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Segway in NYC

I understand that it is against the law to operate a Segway on the sidewlks of NY. There is a company advertising a one hour Segway tour on private property. Does anyone know where it is or how the tour is ?

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC Horse Carriage Rides
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Segway in NYC

Segways are considered vehicles under the New York State Motor Vehicle Law. However, like motorized skateboards and their ilk, segways cannot be registered (among other reasons, they lack certain basic safety features), and one simply may not operate an unregistered vehicle on the City's streets. As for sidewalks, one cannot legally ride a bicycle or even rollerblade on a sidewalk, so of course you can't ride a segway there! In a nutshell, then, a Segway may not legally be operated on sidewalks, or streets, or bridges, or public walkways, or in parks, anwhere in the State of New York -- including New York City. Try it and you may receive a summons, and the Segway may be seized. The only place Segways may be operated legally by the general public is on private property. If you know someone who has made arrangements to give you tours of the parking lot of a supermarket in Queens, or a strip mall in Staten Island -- well by all means knock yourself out.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,082 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Segway in NYC

Brookerme, what is the name of the company that you saw advertised? Did they give any information at all - website, contact number?

We're doing one in Orlando and at the risk of cracking my head open I'm really looking forward to it!

Bronxville, New York
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Segway in NYC

I have seen the occasional Segway on NYC sidewalks, although to GWB's point, they're apparently illegal.

One memory that comes to mind was about two years ago. I was walking up Madison Avenue in the 50's, and a silver haired, very well dressed, older guy came out of his office building on a Segway and headed north on Madison (on the street, not the sidewalk.)

I have rarely seen everything stop...I mean come to a complete stop...in midtown before. Traffic stopped, pedestrians stopped, and everyone just gawked at this mad-scientist-in-Prada looking guy on his space-age machine.

The other day, I saw a guy on a Segway, again on Madison, but further uptown. Nobody paid him any attention at all.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Segway in NYC

I took a Segway tour of an historical area of Toronto 2 years ago. That company gave us helmets (and elbow pads on request), showed us a 10-minute safety video, and gave us personal instruction until we felt comfortable on it. Of course, we had to sign the "don't sue us" waiver. It was very easy (and fun!) to ride after about 5-10 minutes of practice.

5. Re: Segway in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 03:15