We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three irish chicks shopping in nyc...help with hotel?

Belfast, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Three irish chicks shopping in nyc...help with hotel?

We are visiting new york 2nd-6th of March, we have our flights booked, but the hotel arrangments have been left up to me. I keep settling on a hotel and the read bad reviews which put me off.

We are normally stay in a five star, but would prefer to save our money for shopping....(the sole purpose of our visit). I have learnt that there is no specific location for shops. A good four star (the best location to stay is baffling my, previously stayed at plaza, fifth avenue, central park). would also love to have a deli or shop nearby to grab snacks late at night.

Will be doing the normal shops, such a Sephora etc. department store, also buying a diamond ring, designer hand bags, shoes and sunglasses. (if this helps?)

Any advice would be greatly apprechiated or if you need more details, just ask...thanks so much.

xx

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three irish chicks shopping in nyc...help with hotel?

What is your budget? Have you thought of an Apartment?

We have stayed twice in Belvedere hotel and it was perfect for us. Not far from Times Sq and beside a subway station. We walked to the shops and used the subway too. As long as you are near a subway you will be fine where ever you are.

Radio City Apartments gets good reviews.

Belfast, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Three irish chicks shopping in nyc...help with hotel?

I have thought about an apartment although the only ones I could find were the doubletree suites in Time Square (didn't think this would be a good location for shopping) and the Radio city apartments didn't look very nice in the photographs.

I have looked at the affinia dumont although it seems like a quieter area to stay, I want to be in the middle of shopping eating areas, but am baffled by where I should stay. Also looked at Waldorf, Park Central and sheraton. My budget is around £700, around $1300 for the stay.

I have to admit I do like a little bit of luxury, is this too much to ask for, along with a central location, good service and a late night deli nearby??

Some people have said that Madison Avenue, 5th avenue, near carnigie hall or grand central would be good choices for my requirment....any comments. Or any hotel recommendations??

Thanks again

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three irish chicks shopping in nyc...help with hotel?

Believe me you won't be in your room much during your stay. NYC is walkable to the majority of shops and you can also use the subway. I would not be too concerned how close the hotel is to the shops as its all very compact and the subway is so easy to use.

Is it £700 for you alone or all 3? If all of you are paying £700 then you will be able to get a v nice hotel for that. Have a look through the hotel reviews on here and look at the traveller candid photos as this will give better views than what the hotels website will.

Both times we have stayed at the Belvedere on 48th /8th booked through www.hotelconnect.co.uk and the first through American Holidays in Lombard St in Belfast.

Ireland
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Three irish chicks shopping in nyc...help with hotel?

Try The Pennsylvania Hotel, its right beside Macy's and opposite Madison Square Garden - An ideal location. I know loads of people will tell you to stay well clear of this hotel and the reviews are bad - but we have stayed there every year for the past 4 years and have always got a clean room, with lots of hot water and for all the amount of time you will spend in it, it should be ideal. If you do get a bad room just complain at desk until you get a better one. We just got back last week froM NY and had a brill time shopping - hope ye have a great time in March

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three irish chicks shopping in nyc...help with hotel?

Do NOT use the Pennsylvania hotel.

First question is will 2 of you share a bed? Most hotel rooms will have at most 2 queen beds. If not, you either need a 1 bedroom suite and then one of you will have to sleep on a sofabed or you need a 2 bedroom suite or apartment or 2 separate rooms.

Of all the Affinia hotels, I think you'd like the location of the Affinia 50 (short walk to Bloomingdales in one direction and 5th ave. in the other), and possibly the Affinia Gardens which is more recently renovated (also near Bloomingdales). Check Affinia.com for prices and then compare them to quikbook.com and see which is cheaper. The Affinia hotels have 2 bedroom suites but they may be too expensive. These hotels are very nice with large suites but not necessarily the luxury you're looking for. Oh wait, Affinia also owns the Benjamin which is closest to Fifth Ave. Just keep in mind the closer you are to the shops on Fifth Ave., the less likely you are to be near more affordable restaurants.

The Salisbury is a good budget hotel not far from the Plaza with very large apartment sized rooms but it's not luxurious at all. Some very good prices for it for your dates on quikbook. Decor is really dated. One idea is to phone them and get a quote for one of their 2 bedroom suites (these are only done over the phone) which would give you all a bed and 2 bathrooms. That might be your best bet if you can deal with dowdy furniture.

Your other option is to stay further downtown in or near Soho which is another shopping mecca. The hotels in Soho are the Soho Grand, the Mercer and 60 Thompson.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three irish chicks shopping in nyc...help with hotel?

Avoid the Hotel Pennsylvania, its great if you're really on an extremely tight budget and are used to roughing it. It is not the place for you, trust me.

The two hotels in SoHo which were recommended are very good locations and very nice places. There is the W in Union Square too.

I'll tell you a little known secret in New York. Most people complain about the hotels because they're used to new build modern structures and many hotels gut renovations of old buildings, which visitors are often put off by. I strongly recommend my business colleagues check out the Times Square Hilton. The Times Square Hilton is a new build hotel built on the air rights over the New 42nd Street. What are "air rights?" 42nd Street is all built up with theatres, museums, restaurants, all that stuff. They're not very tall. The company that developed this hotel bought the air rights above things like Madame Tussaud's wax museum. The lobby of the hotel is like 20 floors up, all guest rooms are above that. I do not know why the hotel has very large guest rooms but they do. Many people who complain about the tiny rooms at the W Times Square like the large rooms at the Hilton, the Hilton also has a great location. The W is about service and atmosphere, the Hilton doesn't get into the whole "W" theme.

If you really want to splurge there is the Mandarin Oriental Columbus Circle.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three irish chicks shopping in nyc...help with hotel?

Judging from the prices I'm seeing for those dates, I think you may have to scale back your expectations -- particularly if that $1300 is your targeted maximum because hotel rate quotes here do *not* include the hotel/sales taxes which are (like most major American cities) just a tad under a whoppping 15%. So to spend $1300 total, you need to book a place for 4 nights at a quoted rate of not much more than $1100.

Belfast, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Three irish chicks shopping in nyc...help with hotel?

We don't mind sharing beds at all, we are all family, so thats no problem.

I think you might be right about the Affinia hotel, can get a good price for them. I was also thinking maybe I should sacrifice the luxury for a better location, the park central seems to be a good location and has carnigie deli nearby, but really bad reveiws.

The waldorf looked nice but again bad reveiws, the rockafella hotel looked nice but not ideal for shopping.

Keep your ideas coming....all you experts.

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three irish chicks shopping in nyc...help with hotel?

pink, please don't worry about finding a place for late night snacks... you'll never starve in "the city that never sleeps" no matter what part of town you stay in-- and you wouldn't want to make the Carnegie your home away from home anyway :-)

I think the Affinia50 would be a fine choice. I'd suggest the San Carlos across the street but both it and the Kimberly (next door to the Affinia50) are presently priced higher for those dates.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three irish chicks shopping in nyc...help with hotel?

There would be nothing wrong with the Rockefeller Center hotel for shopping if that's affordable for you. It's right across from Saks Fifth Ave. and within a short walk of Bergdorf, Bendel and there are loads of shops now in Rockefeller Center.

But why not get a 1 bedroom suite with a separate living room and bedroom? The Benjamin and the Affinia 50 would both be good.

What are the key shops you want to go to?