We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new york with kids

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
new york with kids

i am going to NYC for a few days in august. which are the best hotels to cram two adults and three kids into.

Also any pointers on decent places to eat at with the unruly tribe that might keep them entertqained long enough for me to eat ?

Canterbury, UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new york with kids

Hi,

The restaurants which seem to be mentioned for kids most often are places like Mars 2112, ESPN Zone and Ellen's Stardust. Plenty going on around them to keep them interested!!

A friend of mine took his kids to a place called America NY (9E, 18th Street). Cheap food, huge ceilings and right opposite a big fire station so his kids loved watching the fire trucks going in and out of the station.

I'm no expert on hotels, plenty of people here are, although I see a lot of people mentioning the Doubletree Suites for larger families which is right in the middle of Times Square.

Cheers,

Steve.

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new york with kids

Check out the Embassy Suites. It gets great reviews on this site. They have 1 bedroom suites which sleep 6. " double beds in bedroom and a double sofa bed in living room. There is a complimentary breakfast included.

The only minus to the Embassy Suites is the location. It is located down town near the WTC but it has so many plusses that I am prepared to sacrafice location for everything else.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new york with kids

I agree with waterford :) you will get the embassy for at least half the price of the doubletree!! we would have had to have paid over ��2000GBP for the doubletree but embassy was only 870GBP with free breakfast and to be honest it looks a lot nicer!...and I am hoping without the constant fire engine noise we had in times sq!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new york with kids

I think that the location of the Embassy Suites should in no hinder your ability to get around the city. Near the subway, near the ferries to Staten Island and SOL/Ellis Island, there is a movie theater and places to eat there, breakfast is included, rooms are large, near Battery Park City and it's beautiful promenade, near the World Financial Center, lovely place to explore, walkable to Chinatown, Soho & Greenwich Village, 15 minute subway ride to TImes Square, and quiet at night. Yes, a bit away from the "action", but so what? If you need the space, this is the place.

Hewlett, New York
Level Contributor
678 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new york with kids

Going back to the restaurant America...on Sunday they have a nice brunch and there is a balloon person and magician walking around entertaining the kids. Its really fun. My kids loved it. We ate there before going to a show at Union Square Theatre. Maybe something kid friendly will be showing then and you could try that.

Greenwood, Indiana
Level Contributor
95 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new york with kids

We are going to NYC from March 26 until March 31. It will be 2 adults and 3 daughters who are ages 16, 14, and 12 years old. We are staying at the Best Western Hospitality House. It is at 145 East 49th just about a block east of Rockerfeller Center. We have a 2 bedroom with a living/dining area with a fold out sofa as well as a kitchen. The pictures make it look like it used to be an apartment complex. Check out its website at:

bestwesternnewyork.com/Hotels/HospitalityHou…

We looked at other places but wanted space so we would not be crowded. It does not have all the perks but its size and a full kitchen with a dining area are a definite plus for our family.

I will post a review when we return.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new york with kids

thanks all keep the good stuff coming.

manchester england
Level Contributor
691 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new york with kids

what are here ages though

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new york with kids

i wont give my wifes age but the youngsters are 13, 10 and 2

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: new york with kids

Unfortunatly, America has closed it's doors. It WAS a graet place for kids but is no more...