We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York in Feb with 3 small kids?!?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
New York in Feb with 3 small kids?!?

Hi, we are visiting NY on the first week of Feb, and we come from Florida. I have 3 small boys, all under 5, and are staying near Central Park. We're going to visit some family, but most of the weekend is for us seeing NY.

Any tips as to get ups and clothes? Are strollers ok at that time? Must see sights for the kids? Would riding the ferry and double deckers be too chilly?

Thanks!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,999 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York in Feb with 3 small kids?!?

Though we've had a very warm winter so far, all bets are off for February. It could be very cold and windy, or it could pleasently snowy, or who knows what. Strollers will be fine unless it's windy in which case you won't want to be outdoors. Pray for snow with no wind and your kids will have a fantastic time.

As to clothing, if it's cold then your best bet, IMO, is a snow suit, which is a 2-piece suite of insulated overalls and an insulated, hooded jacket. That's what still use for our kids, now 11 and 9. I doubt you can find one in Florida, and I don't know if the dept stores here (eg, Macys) still have them or have moved on to spring already.

See the NY family travel section at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s401/New-York-… for suggestions on what to do. Your kids are young and I'd esp recommend the Natural History museum and maybe the Children's Museum. If your kids are reasonably tolerant and not too wild then you might like the Metropolitan Museum, too. The Met and the Nat Hist museum are located opposite each other on Central Park. If the weather is nice you can walk it in 15 min, else take a bus across.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York in Feb with 3 small kids?!?

Hard to predict the weather, but don't be surprised if it's positively freezing out. The double decker bus isn't a great idea in the cold, but the ferry would be fine since you can ride inside or out. Strollers are fine unless we get hit with a snowstorm. Hopefully you'll either be walking around or taking taxis. It'd be really tough navigating all the subway stairs with strollers, and you can't bring a stroller on a bus unless it's folded up. That might be manageable with one child, but sounds impossible with three.

Hopefully you will get snow while you're here. Just head for Central Park!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York in Feb with 3 small kids?!?

Thanks for the tips.

So jeans with thermal underwear and layers of jackets won't work you think?

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York in Feb with 3 small kids?!?

since you are near central park, dont forget to check out central park zoo.. small but cute.. and one of my fav penguin exhibits.

also for an indoor activity, check out manhattan childrens theatre.. they usually cater to younger kids.

and if you are brave enough to take the 3 of them into the times square toys r us they can ride the ferris wheel.

dont forget hats and mittens! have fun.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,999 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York in Feb with 3 small kids?!?

Jeans, thermal underware, sweaters, heavy jackets WILL work unless its windy out, in which you won't want to be outside at all, no matter how you're dressed.

New York
Level Contributor
300 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New York in Feb with 3 small kids?!?

And make sure their feet are warm! My kids can stand the cold on their bodies, but they complain loudly if their feet are cold. Sneakers and heavy socks aren't warm enough if you are walking or playing outside for any length of time. They need boots.

Also, if you don't already have one, a plastic cover for the stroller keeps out the rain and cuts the wind, but not the cold.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York in Feb with 3 small kids?!?

Layers of jackets won't cut the wind the same way a ski/snow coat or suit would. Up here in CT they are marked way down as the winter has been so mild. You can also find great ones at llbean.com or landsend.com. We lived in FL for over 4 years and when we came north for the holidays/daughter's birthday, I hated buying new for just one trip even tho as a native northerner I knew that would be warmer, so I found some winter coats in consignment or thrift shops in FL very lightly worn. Can't say they will always be there though! Your kids will be happier warmer and if we do get snow, you'll want them to be able to roll around in it!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York in Feb with 3 small kids?!?

For inspration, browse these trip reports written by families with young kids.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k473208-… Collection_of_trip_reports_from_families_with_YOUNG_KIDS-

Above tips are great - heat escapes your extremities first. If you keep head, ears, feet and hands warm, you'll stay warmer longer. Don't forget sunglasses. Oddly, the winter sun is very bright, plus shades are a good wind-blocker.

9. Re: New York in Feb with 3 small kids?!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 22:19