We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hair & beauty in manhattan

south shields
9 posts
Save Topic
hair & beauty in manhattan

does anyone know somewhere to get hair and make up done for a wedding thats not too far away from the Waldorf Astoria and won't quadruple the price once the word wedding is mentioned

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
memphis, tn
Level Contributor
850 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hair & beauty in manhattan

I spent my pre-wedding day with Zac at Pierre Michel. The salon is on 57th. on the East Side. Perfect for catching a cab back to the Waldorf. Book as early as is possible for that day as he will spend tons of time on your hair. He is the best. I loved how he did my hair and there is a make up person on site to book with after your hair is done. He was at Avon when he did my hair on my wedding day though he is now at Pierre Michel. Don't go anywhere else. Tell him the girl from Memphis with the big hair sent you. he will laugh.

Marla

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hair & beauty in manhattan

m sure theres a redken salon on 5th ave, iv not been before but i dont think you can go to wrong with a salon like that,not sure they do mke up though

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hair & beauty in manhattan

Amanda,

Wedding hair can be expensive for several reasons.

One, If you want someone to leave the salon and come to you they have to charge enough to justify leaving the salon. If someone can charge $200 a haircut booking every half an hour they have to justify that when closing their schedule for 2-3 hours.

If you go to the slaon you should not have this problem.

Also, Wedding hair usually requires trials, where you go and try different styles before the wedding.

I think that ZAC is a great recommendation, as mentioned he is at Pierre Michele on 57th and Lexington. I'm sure there is someone there who does makeup.

Have an idea of how you want to wear your hair. Pull pictures of styles you like out of magazines and bring them with you.

When you call to make an appointment ask how much an up-do costs. After you get that price mention that you are getting married that day. See if the price rises and by how much.

If you are wearing a headpiece you'll want to bring that with you.

Anoter option is The John Barrett salon in Bergdoff Goodman.

Congratulations and good luck!

south shields
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hair & beauty in manhattan

Looked at Pierre Michelle and that looks ideal, Zac only works Weds to Sat and I need a Monday though so will need to use a different stylist. What do you do about tips in Salons?

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hair & beauty in manhattan

The people doing your hair and makeup should be tipped 15-20 percent each.

The person that shampoos your hair $5-$10.

And a couple of dollars for the coatcheck.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
850 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hair & beauty in manhattan

I agree that if Zac is not working on the day you need to see someone, I would book someone at the Bergdorf Goodman salon. That was where I originally found ZAC. Small world, isn't it? It is expensive; but worth it as hopefully, you won't be getting married but this one time and you want your hair to look great in the pictures.

Marla

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hair & beauty in manhattan

More referrals and words of wisdom in these posts:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k922847-… Hairdressers-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k703971-… Hair_Salon_Please_

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k645342-… Hairdresser_for_wedding_NYWhiz-

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hair & beauty in manhattan

Amanda,

I did mentionThe John Barrett Salon as another alternative.

However,

Pierre Michele is a very respected salon and I think it is a good choice. Even withour Zac working. I wouldn't not use PM simply because he isn't there.

Most salons are either closed on Mondays, or operate with a very small staff.

I always recommend the better salons in the city, one because this is the level salon I work in, so I know the other top salons. I also know people in the other salons Most importantly though I suggest these salons because the level of training that goes into the staff gives you a higher caliber of work coming out.

Good Luck!

9. Re: hair & beauty in manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 10:22