We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport as hotel security

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
264 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
passport as hotel security

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if you need to give the hotel your passport as a form of security during your stay? A friend of mine said that she was asked to give her passport at all her hotels when travelling in Europe. Is it the same in the USA?

I am a bit weary of giving my passport as security as I have a friend who works for Australian Customs who told me NEVER to let me passport out of sight.

I have a credit card that I’m happy for the hotels to take an imprint of - is this enough?

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,388 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,981 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport as hotel security

No, I don't think US hotels ask for passports (but I'm not sure). I think they want a credit card :)

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport as hotel security

I've never been asked for my passport as security in a US hotel, although as you say it can be common practice in Europe. An imprint of a credit card has always been asked for however.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport as hotel security

On my recent stay I was asked for my passport as proof of id - they didn't, however, retain it, just looked at it and wrote my pp number down.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passport as hotel security

On check at any us hotel the lead passenger has had to show passport but it was never taken and we have never ever been asked for a credit card and weve been over 10 times to america

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passport as hotel security

Your friend is right, Lee....Never let your passport out of sight! A cc imprint should suffice and has for me at least whether here in the States or overseas:) Enjoy!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passport as hotel security

My wife works for the Hilton organization and some of their properties have begun requiring a passport for ID. They make a copy of it and return the original. Everywhere I travel in Europe that is the practice. As stated above never let a hotel retain your passport.

It will become even more of a requirement as US Homeland Security demands US residents to obtain passports for travel anywhere out of and back into the US - hotels will adopt asking for passports as it is the most secure form of ID.

If you can believe it, only 27% of US residents have passports and many US residents are angered to be asked for a passport because they think being a US citizen should be good enough!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passport as hotel security

I saw those statistics too, livestotravel, and couldn't believe it was only 27%! I've never been without one as far back as I can remember and guess it's all relative...important to me...others don't even think about it ... till now:) Enjoy all!

8. Re: passport as hotel security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 15:20