We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to carry: purse vs. backpack vs. other?

Colorado
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to carry: purse vs. backpack vs. other?

A fanny pack screams tourist.

A shoulder purse is easy to snatch and can get hard to carry all day on one shoulder (plus can it fit all the necessary daily acoutrements...water bottle, maps, meds, lipstick, cell phone, etc?)

A backpack is accessible to people behind you and perhaps also too touristy looking.

What should I bring??

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to carry: purse vs. backpack vs. other?

NOT a backpack. It's a nuisance on the subway and easy to get into. A shoulder bag is fine. If you're worried, use one that goes diagonally.

England
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to carry: purse vs. backpack vs. other?

i found a small shoulder bag ideal. it only carried a wallet, phone (with good camera facility) , and pocket map book (not for tourists) in it. if you carry it over your shoulder, across your body (ie strap on left shoulder but bag hanging down right side) it would be harder for someone to pinch it, but i wouldnt worry anymore than you would in any other city. i felt safer there than in cities nearer home. i did try bigger bags to begin with but i was just fed up carrying everything around with me. i figured that as i had a metro pass and our hotel was right near to a station, if i needed anything i could nip back and get it, and i never did. we used the need for a drink as an n excuse to pop into a shop or to sit and have a coffee and people watch for a bit!

bridgeport, ct
Level Contributor
475 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to carry: purse vs. backpack vs. other?

If I am going around the city for a day I always bring a backpack. It helps to hold all of your purchases plus anything like water, an extra layer, hat or gloves. I have never had a problem with pickpocketing with this, I think as long as you are aware you will be fine.

As for it looking touristy, i guess it can but I did this even as a city dweller; it helps to have a backpack if you go for groceries and have to carry them home without a car.

Really whatever you are most comfortable with is the best bet.

bridgeport, ct
Level Contributor
475 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to carry: purse vs. backpack vs. other?

oh I just read nywhiz's answer regarding the backpack nuisance on the subway and he is right.

If you do use a backpack on the subway and you get on a crowded train, it is best to take it off and hold it by the strap as you would a shopping bag.

bridgeport, ct
Level Contributor
475 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to carry: purse vs. backpack vs. other?

oh I just read nywhiz's answer regarding the backpack nuisance on the subway and he is right.

If you do use a backpack on the subway and you get on a crowded train, it is best to take it off and hold it by the strap as you would a shopping bag.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,234 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to carry: purse vs. backpack vs. other?

You are probably 100% more likely to lose your bag via carelessness than have someone snatch it off your arm. I saw 2 obvious out of towners with their handbags dangling off the back of a bar "stool" in the space of 1/2 hour at a bar last week!

Having the over the shoulder/chest bag is fine, as long as its in front of you... Dont let it dangle behind you on the subway, crowded spots, etc.

When I carry my daypack, the strap is on one shoulder, so that the bag is basically held under my elbow - not behind me where anyone can reach into the outer pocket... If I have to keep it on my back, I'm both conscious of the people around me (I tend to take if off if on a crowded train) and the wallet is nowhere where anyone can access it easily.

Daypacks dont make you look like a tourist - 1/2 of the obvious commuters on the subway (and every NYC kid!) has one... Unless you wear it on your chest! Fanny packs are definitely tourist and while I like the Gucci one (considering it has those ugly initials all over it!), all in all - ick!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to carry: purse vs. backpack vs. other?

I always pack a small canvas bag. It is good for carrying bottles of water, glasses, tissues, etc. Plus if we go anywhere that searches your bags, it's much simpler to have a canvas bag--no zippers to deal with.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to carry: purse vs. backpack vs. other?

I agree - backpacks don't necess. make you look like a tourist.

The key is to "be one with the bag" (mentally, not physically) no matter which type you carry. In other words, make it part of your consiousness without being nervous, so that you are aware of where it is and how it s positioned. KInda like knowing how big your car is while you're driving it.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to carry: purse vs. backpack vs. other?

If someone is going to take your bag they will regardless. I always take one that goes over my shoulder and sits on my hip purely because it's comfortable and carries enough stuff :) Just be aware whatever bag you take as you would anywhere you went :)

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to carry: purse vs. backpack vs. other?

I actually bought a "New York size handbag" the day before we left to go. According to the NYT big bags are a must in NYC so who was I not to oblige. It took guidebooks map, hat, scarf, gloves, camera etc.

It was a Fiorelli portfolio bag that was comfy on my shoulders and now does work to college perfectly!