We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friend is saying no to Cedar City...don't understand why.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
110 reviews
Save Topic
Friend is saying no to Cedar City...don't understand why.

Seriously considering moving to Cedar City for a new job but then a friend said, "But you are not LDS , you make any friends there." She seems to think that my family and I will have a difficult time adjusting and making friends.

We've lived elsewhere in UT and didn't have that experience.

Any inside information on this would be helpful. Is she just being judgemental?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friend is saying no to Cedar City...don't understand why.

<<Is she just being judgemental?>>

Yes

Though St George may be more diverse than Cedar City. If you are open minded you will find others who are as well.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friend is saying no to Cedar City...don't understand why.

If you've lived in other places in Utah and not had that problem you certainly won't in Cedar City.

Scenic Southern Utah
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Friend is saying no to Cedar City...don't understand why.

I have never heard anyone that has moved to Cedar say that they were ostracized for not being LDS.

However, this is not the first time I have heard this concern as I work at the Iron County Visitor Center and have people with the same concern and I always tell them that the LDS faith may be the predominant religion here but if you look in the phone book or the Cedar City magazine you will find there is a large variety of churches here and if you find an unkind LDS person they are not living to the standards of their faith.

Or as one of my volunteers says H.U.N.T.I.N.G. (deer hunting) is the true dominant religion and that is why our schools get a harvest holiday every year. lol

I moved here for school and fell in love with the community and that is why after 7years I am still here. I love that it isn't too big so my commute to work each day is only ten minutes (if I hit every red light), close to three National Parks and one National Monument, tons of outdoor recreation, plenty of volunteer opportunities, and between the University and the city there is almost always something happening (there is a reason we are called Festival City USA). Also if I can't find it here St George is only 45min away and I don't have to deal with the triple digit heat there.

I hope this helps answer your question and that you will truly consider making Cedar City your home.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friend is saying no to Cedar City...don't understand why.

Try going to http://www.city-data.com/ and clicking on the blue spot that says VIsit Forums at the top of the home page. City-Data is like TripAdvisor, except that it's for people who want help with moving to a new location. It has forums just like these, except that you get information about schools, churches, shopping, neighborhoods, etc.

Cedar City used to be very provincial. But more recently, maybe because of the University, or maybe because of the world class Shakespeare Festival each fall, the town is becoming less cloistered. I think it's like small towns anywhere. If there's a dominant religion in any small town, and you're not a member of that religion, you might not have as many ways to make new friends, but that's not because the people are trying to ostracize you, they just don't have contact with you. Go to City-Data and ask some questions to ease your mind.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friend is saying no to Cedar City...don't understand why.

By the way... SouthernUtahGirls is right (and funny!) about the dominant religion: H.U.N.T.I.N.G The school systems in Utah like to pretend that the annual Utah Education Association convention is the reason for the long weekend at the first of October every year, but really - it's for deer hunting and one last warm weekend for camping :-D. If they didn't put that little break on the calendar, there wouldn't be any kids in attendance at any rural Utah school that week.

Speaking of huntin', if you do move, there is one thing you'll have to learn or everyone will know you're not from Utah. I mean this to be gently teasing my fellow Utahns, so I hope it doesn't prompt any angry replies... We like to think we have no accent, but we do. You will have to practice swallowing your "t"s when they are combined with "n" as in "mountain"- Start practicing saying that word without a "t" sound. Then practice "hunting" ... Once you get that accent thang down, you'll be good to go. :-)

Cedar City, Utah
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friend is saying no to Cedar City...don't understand why.

This is a terrible stereotype. I would not worry about this at all. Cedar City, while maybe not being very diverse ethnicly, has a wide range of people living here and is very open minded. We come from an LDS family and have many friends in the community who are not.

7. Re: Friend is saying no to Cedar City...don't understand why.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2011, 06:19