We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashdown Gorge

Livermore, Maine
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Ashdown Gorge

I'd like to hike Ashdown Gorge from the bottom up (Route 14) to the canyon and then back. I've had very little luck finding infomation online except about the whole hike of Rattlesnake trail. Can anyone tell me if its worth hiking from the bottom up and how far is worth going? Also about how long it would take? Looking to fit this in after lunch for a half day hike or so. Obviously we'd go only so far and turn around. Anything helps. Thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ashdown Gorge

I e heard of it. I've seen it from Cedar Breaks. Looks like a great hike. But I have no more info than you.

RandiR and Killerbob both live in cedar maybe they'd have more info.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ashdown Gorge

I haven't been there long enough to know anything yet!

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ashdown Gorge

Did killer_bob move to Cedar City?

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ashdown Gorge

I've only hiked the Twisted Forest area of Ashdown Gorge which I reached by taking the Summit Canyon Rd. off of Rt. 143, about 10 miles east of Parowan with a well marked trailhead. It's an improved dirt road, 4x4 not needed.

I've not done the Rattlesnake Trail off of 14, as I was curious about the entire loop of the Summit Canyon Rd.

The Twisted Forest area is beautiful, with a forest of ancient, windswept Bristlecone Pines, thousands of years old and a narrow trail to the top of the rim, with panoramic views overlooking Cedar Breaks.

I would recommend trekking poles for the return as the trail is steep, narrow and loose footing in spots, but well worth the effort.

5. Re: Ashdown Gorge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2015, 15:15