We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Breaks NM: best time for pictures

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
537 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Cedar Breaks NM: best time for pictures

Hello, we might be in the area over next weekend and it's possible that we may take a stop at Cedar Breaks NM.

What;s the better time to take pictures - morning or evening, or maybe doesn't really matter?

Thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,702 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar Breaks NM: best time for pictures

I seem to always be there mid day and have gotten nice shots, probably not the ultimate time though.While in the area I would recommend the short drive up the gravel road to Brian Head Peak.Nice 360 views and you look down towards Cedar Breaks.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
537 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar Breaks NM: best time for pictures

Thank you very much! I plan to head to Las Vegas from Bryce (after watching sunrise and maybe short hike) via Cedar Breaks, so I probably will be there in the afternoon.

How long is that gravel road and what condition should I expect over next weekend?

I'll have rental car (not SUV), so will have to be careful, if 't short and in a good condition maybe I can try, but otherwise I'd skip.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,702 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedar Breaks NM: best time for pictures

The road is not very long. You can see the road snake up the hill from the highway.Everytime I have been on it , it has been pretty smooth. The only exception was when I had to drive thru a couple snow drifts to get up there, but that was late spring/early summer on a trip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
537 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cedar Breaks NM: best time for pictures

Thank you very much for suggestion, I've found that road on a map, seems like easy to find and not too far from our route, we'll try to visit it. Thanks.

Cedar City, Utah
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Cedar Breaks NM: best time for pictures

I prefer late afternoon to sunset at the Point Supreme overlook. Cedar Breaks faces the west and so the setting sun hits it nicely with lots of shadows. Point Supreme sits just enough off to the side of the amphitheater so you get a great shot with lots of color. The other viewpoints I would do in the afternoon. Brian Head Peak is stunning too.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
537 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cedar Breaks NM: best time for pictures

Thank you very much! Not sure if we'll be able to catch actual sunset, since we will have to be in Las Vegas by 9 pm or 9:30 at the latest, but late afternoon seems very realistic :)

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Cedar Breaks NM: best time for pictures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2016, 18:15