We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Kayaking Closer to Town

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
River Kayaking Closer to Town

What are the closest towns/ rivers to for a nice Class I-II kayak run?

Making a long road trip on the 40, want to hit attractions in Little Rock, but would like to get in a little touristy kayaking as well. Not a totally dead float, but nothing too technical either.

The state tourism website has lots of info, but there's so much, I need a place to start. Thanks much for feedback!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River Kayaking Closer to Town

The rivers you I suggest you concentrate on are the Buffalo, Big Piney and Mulberry in that order. It will take you a couple hours or more to be on the rivers, starting out from Little Rock, depending upon put-in locations. The degree of difficulty will be directly related to rainfall. You can find fun little runs like Cadron Creek a little closer, but the above are the ones which you will remember longer for challenge and/or beauty.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River Kayaking Closer to Town

If you're coming in from the west on I40 and want to stop before you get to Little Rock, you will pass very close to the Mulberry. Go up highway 23 out of Ozark AR, there's a good outfitter just a few miles from 40, http://www.turnerbend.com/index.html

As JimJade says, the absolute closest to Little Rock is the Cadron, which is really quite fun, and easy to get to if you're pressed for time.

In Arkansas the whitewater is always highly variable depending on rain. Be sure to check the water levels before setting out www.ozarkpages.com/cgi-bin/stages.pl?ST=name

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River Kayaking Closer to Town

Great thanks very much!

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River Kayaking Closer to Town

OK, what if someone IS interested in more of a dead float? Could I put in at Murray Park and paddle to the Peabody Hotel?

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River Kayaking Closer to Town

A better idea than the Arkansas River might be putting in the Little Maumelle Creek at Pinnacle Mountain and paddling to the Corps of Engineer Park. You can do that shuttle by one car and a bicycle.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: River Kayaking Closer to Town

We've had very high winds for the last few months. I wouldn't recommend anyone using a small non-motorized craft like a canoe on the Arkansas River. The last suggestion you got was a really good one.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: River Kayaking Closer to Town

Thanks! There's an organized trip at Pinnacle Mountain on Sunday, I may just stick with that.

Springdale, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: River Kayaking Closer to Town

Does anybody know anything about kayaking down in the marshy area out near the LR airport? I thought I read about groups doing this in some travel magazine, but now that Im trying to look it up online I cant find anything. Did I make this up?

Little Rock...
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
331 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: River Kayaking Closer to Town

mollydaction, You're thinking about Fourche Creek in Pulaski County south of Little Rock. Here's a site:

www.fourchecreek.org/con_index.asp…

Springdale, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: River Kayaking Closer to Town

Thats it! Thanks!