We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in Little Rock, where to stay? What to see?

Houston, TX
3 posts
Save Topic
1 day in Little Rock, where to stay? What to see?

I will be driving from Houston TX to Springfield MO to see my grandparents, and instead of driving the whole day, I'd like to stop in Little Rock. I have never been there.

I am a solo female, needing a quiet, clean and fairly safe place to stay, preferably under $100/night.

Also, I was thinking to go to the Clinton Center... any ohter suggestions on what to do/see/eat? Thanks!

Little Rock...
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
347 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in Little Rock, where to stay? What to see?

Consider the Courtyard on President Clinton Avenue. It's a short walk to the Clinton Library and close to a number of restaurants.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in Little Rock, where to stay? What to see?

The Courtyard by Marriott Downtown would be the best location for you. From here you can walk out to the Clinton Center and to museums, galleries and cafes. However it will normally run in the 159 range and maybe down to 119 on some weekends. To stay in your price range, you might consider the Comfort Inn downtown. It gets pretty good reviews for a budget hotel and I worked with them on a convention and found their management impressive. The only problem is that it's not a good spot to walk out from. Though it's only a few blocks from Clinton Center and the Marriott, it is an expressway site bordering on a kind of challenged neighborhood. But parking and driving is an easy matter in Little Rock. There is plenty of free parking at Clinton Center and you could drive there, leave your car and have a great day of walking. So what I would do is park at (or walk to, depending on your place of lodging) Clinton Center, and start with a tour of the Clinton Museum. It's an impressive place. When you have toured the center, walk west on President Clinton Ave. Stop on the way at the Clinton Museum shop, which is a cut above typical museum stores. Have lunch at Boulevard Bread at the River Market, a couple blocks from the Clinton Shop. Ask someone how to get on the new Junction Bridge just behind the market. A new and safe pedestrian bridge, it will give you a great view of the city and river. (Not sure of your dates - It may be temporarily closed for construction touch-up as it has been). From there, I would stop in the lively art gallery, Artspace, at the corner of Clinton and Cumberland, then turn left and head for the Historic Arkansas Museum on Second Street. They have lively galleries and a great store which can all be interesting even if you are not a total history buff. Their home tour of the grounds can be lengthy and detailed so you might pass on that. From there I would walk back to President Clinton Ave(which turns into Markham Street), and keep going west. Look for the 1872 Capital Hotel on your left and take a peek in their 1907 lobby. Keep going to the Old Statehouse museum on your right. It is where Clinton gave acceptance speeches etc and is Arkansas's first state capitol. If you aren't museumed-out, take a look at the galleries in their museum. The other museum nearby which I recommend is the Arkansas Arts Center, a short drive away. They have a dramatic contemporary glass show on currently. Dinner could be in one of a number of River Market cafes. You might like eating on the terrace at Bosco's. Flying Fish is very popular and affordable, and Vermillion, Copper, and Velo Rouge are nicer and more upscale. If you want to veer out from the River Market, you might get driving directions to Kavanaugh Blvd and wind through Hillcrest and the Heights neighborhoods. Both have small unique shopping stretches. These are just a few minutes away and can give you a taste of older Little Rock communities and are great, safe walking areas. I think you will have a fine time in Little Rock!

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in Little Rock, where to stay? What to see?

For an idea of the shops there: www.rivermarket.info

If the Junction Bridge is not open, there is also a great view (beautiful sunsets) from the Big Dam Bridge. It's the longest pedestrian/bicycle bridge ever built. It is built over the Arkansas River and connects Little Rock and North Little Rock's walking/bicycle trails. www.bigdambridge.com There are directions on the website that you can follow. It's not as close as the Junction Bridge, but it's a safe area. Quite a few people like to go exercise there and just stroll around.

There are dinner cruises on the Arkansas Queen. www.arkansasqueen.com

If you like theatre, there are 2 places to consider. The Arkansas Repertory Theatre and Murray's Dinner Playhouse. www.therep.org

If you don't mind a little drive over to North Little Rock, there's 'The Old Mill' to see. It was the mill used in the opening scene of 'Gone With the Wind'. Very nicely landscaped area with couple of lakes around it and in a very safe neighborhood. www.nlrchamber.org/community/tourism.aspx

Little Rock...
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
347 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day in Little Rock, where to stay? What to see?

You've gotten a lot of advice but we haven't asked how long you plan to be in Little Rock. The drive up from Houston will take seven to eight hours depending on what time you leave. If you get an early start you could tour the Clinton Library after you get here as it doesn't close until 5:00pm.

5. Re: 1 day in Little Rock, where to stay? What to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 23:20
Get answers to your questions about Little Rock
Recent Conversations