We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping at Maumelle State Park

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Camping at Maumelle State Park

Has anyone stayed or checked out the camping at Maumelle State Park. We have made reservations there along the river during the month of October and wondered if anyone else had been there or had comments.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping at Maumelle State Park

I have been there many times. Unless you are looking for a wilderness experience, which it is not, I'd be surprised if you are disappointed by this campground. Unless something has occurred extremely recently to change this, Maumelle Park is not a part of the Arkansas State Parks system. It is a Corps of Engineers campgrounds which was a part of the McClellan-Kerr navigation improvement project on the Arkansas River. But that does not really make any difference. It is a unique property and great location. Only 10 minutes from a full service high quality commercial strip where you can buy groceries 24 hours a day, it is tucked into quiet acreage along the Arkansas River. It is another 10 minute and pretty drive to a great State Park, Pinnacle Mountain State Park with a terrific mountain to climb and an accessible visitor center. So you have a nicely maintained quiet campground on the river, easily accessible to both a beautiful state park and the convenience of quality urban shopping areas. You should have a great time.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping at Maumelle State Park

While you're staying at the park, be sure to take a trip over for a great view of the Arkansas River from The Big Dam Bridge. The sun sets right over the river and sometimes the sunsets are very beautiful. www.bigdambridge.com

If you decide to go out to eat, check out Izzy's. They have really awesome tamales and a very large menu that should suit everyone. Service is always friendly and fast. The atmosphere is really great as well.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping at Maumelle State Park

Forgot to leave a link for their web-site where they have a menu posted. It's www.izzyslittlerock.com

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping at Maumelle State Park

If you have time you might also ask directions to Two Rivers County Park, which is only 5-10 minutes from the campground. There is a really nice walking and bike path to the river at this nearby park.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping at Maumelle State Park

Thank you so much for all the ideas. We come down to Northern Arkansas to camp and fish every year and kept meaning to get to Little Rock for the museum, and this year were able to schedule 5 days down there, so the suggestions are great. Keep them coming.I am also celebrating a birthday while down in Little Rock, any suggestions for a nice restaurant for that?

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping at Maumelle State Park

Maybe if you describe the type of food you like, someone will be able to narrow down some good choices. Also if you will be leaving for dinner from the campsite or the downtown museum area.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping at Maumelle State Park

The following are a few ideas to start thinking about for a local birthday dinner:

1. Brave New Restaurant - www.bravenewrestaurant.com This is the restaurant both my wife and I choose for birthday and anniversary dinners and the kids like it too. It normally wins the best restaurant in town awards, and it generally satisfies most people who go there - great meats, good fish dishes, friendly service and an attractive place. It's only 10 minutes from the River Market area but hard to find so get explicit directions from them and write them down. Try to reserve a table on the balcony (or next to the window in bad weather) for a river view.

2. Capers - www.capersrestaurant.com I mention this place because it is pretty nice and is only 5-10 minutes from your campsite. You might look over their menus and see if it suits your interest.

3. Macaroni Grill - www.macaronigrill.com I don't care for chain restaurants but the whole family always has fun here. The food is pretty good, it's lively and the waiters will all gather around and sing (usually pretty well) a big birthday greeting. It is also a little more on the affordable side.

There are a lot more good places in town! I'm sure others will have great suggestions.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping at Maumelle State Park

Thanks for the answers, sorry it took me a couple of days to get back. It is all adults going to dinner and we like Seafood, steaks, chops and Italian. We will be trout fishing so staying away from trout or catfish on the menu. Also, I believe the place for Bar-b-que in Little Rock is Jacks? Any other suggestions?

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping at Maumelle State Park

Thanks all for your ideas and input. it has been a few months and we have been to and from Little Rock. Had a wonderful birthday dinner at a place called Lilly's Dim Sum and then sum. We had seen the owner cooking on one of the morning shows and tried it out. Just a hint, if you have not tried it, go, it is worth it.

10. Re: Camping at Maumelle State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 12:22