We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
361 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
travel

Ok, so I have been reading the posts on I-40, but we are driving through Memphis on our way to Albuquerque going out and then returning from there and Oklahoma City through Little Rock to Memphis to Nashville. Do we haveany choice but to go through Little Rock on I-40? It doesn't seem so the way I am looking at things. We have never driven this particular route before, but we are returning to the East in mid-December and don't really want to go up through Missouri and Ohio. Any suggestions?

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel

Are you just wanting to get thru the state as fast as possible (staying on Interstate) while avoiding driving thru Little Rock? Best way to do that would be to take I-40 East til you reach Conway, then take Hwy 64 East. Cut over to Hwy 31 South til you get back to I-40. Or, you could take Hwy 31 South, Hwy 13 South, Hwy 38 East then Hwy 78 East back to I-40.

Little Rock...
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
325 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel

If driving time is a factor stay on I-40. I-40 is not a particularly pleasant drive from Memphis to North Little Rock due to heavy truck traffic. From North Little Rock west it's much better as most of the trucks take I-30 to Texas. Let me point out that I-40 doesn't go through Little Rock. Its route is through North Little Rock, which is a smaller city and you wont experience heavy urban traffic.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel

The cities of Little Rock and North Little Rock are really not that large. I agree with OLDCPA. You should be fine staying on interstate. It would be less crowded if you could time your drive thru the area to be between 9am and 3pm. 6am to 9am and 3pm to 6 or 7pm are the most crowded you will find the interstate here.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
361 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel

Thanks for all your information. I do remember commenting on the truck traffic on 40 on our way to Flagstaff last year. We will take all your info into consideration.

5. Re: travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 23:20